1990 F150 Custom - Fuel Pumps keep running...HELP

Hi, I have a 1990 Ford F150. Just got it a week ago. 86K original miles. V8. Dual fuel tanks.

Today I emptied a load of wood from the bed of the truck and noticed as I was finishing up that I could hear a faint whine from the rear of the truck. Long story short: Whine from fuel pump. After about 45 minutes, went back out and the fuel pump was STILL running. Tried switching tanks, same thing....high pitched whrrrrr of the fuel pumps. Also, what fuse controls the fuel pump? Tried pulling them all to no avail of shutting it off. Finally, I disconnected the battery so I can get to work tomorrow morning.

Anyone know the problem- i am guessing it's a relay that's bad, and can give me some advice on where on/in the vehicle to locate it so I can bring it to NAPA for a replacement?

thanks very much.

Reply to
Papadad

You are right its a ad ( stuck ) relay, It happened to me with a 91 explorer. On the explorer its in the engine compartment on the right side ( looking at the truck ) under the fuse box. Try giving it a good rap with something soft (wood ) it might stop.

Joe

Reply to
~oddball

The fuel pump relay would be in the power distribution box, probably under the hood. My Haynes manual says that with a "typical later year" arrangement Relay 2 is the fuel pump relay. Relay 2 is the second from the bottom of the picture. It doesn't show where on the vehicle the power box is, and doesn't specify which years (from '80-'96) the picture actually represents. I don't have the electrical part of the Ford manual, and my truck has the 300 so I can't help by looking under the hood either.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

The relay will stick. If it starts working again, it still needs replaced.

GOD BLESS THE USA Member of IPCO- International Pest Control Operators Public message board-

Bob