1990 Ford 4x4 V6 Ranger Fuel injection problems

I have a 1990 Ford 4x4 V6 Ranger nd I'm having prolems when I put it in drive. The engine stalls and I'm left sitting. When I start it up it idles up just fine, but when I shift it into drive it stalls out completely. If someone has any ideas how to fix this I'll be grateful. Thanks so much.

Reply to
mtnfox31

fuel pressure?

ds549

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 02:07:17 +0000, mtnfox31 rearranged some electrons to say:

Are there any trouble codes set?

Reply to
david

What happens if you drive with two feet instead of just one?

A valid test in a situation like this is to apply the brake with the left foot and keep the gas up with the right and see if the trouble goes away above idle speed.

Another symptom could be that the truck runs okay UNTIL the brake is applied. Try applying the brake and holding it for a few seconds before selecting D. Assume for a moment that your selection of D and the application of the brake happen at the same time, your report as that selecting D is the problem, but really the application of the brake is the trouble. Your truck has vacuum assisted brakes, and a leak in the vacuum booster of the master cylinder can cause the engine to stall when the brakes are applied.

Hold the brake applied, select N. If the engine remains running, raise the engine speed to 1000 rpm and select D. SLOWLY increase the engine speed to see if there is a point where the motor remains running when the transmission is engaged. If you can keep the engine running by applying gas while D is selected and the brakes are applied, then you have started to isolate the problem. Collect more symptoms and report back ...

PS I do not endorse the practice of applying the brake with one foot and the gas with the other, but I do suggest that it can be a valuable aid in testing and troubleshooting this sort of problem.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
mtnfox31 via CarKB.com

Reply to
mtnfox31 via CarKB.com

Reply to
mtnfox31 via CarKB.com

Does it attempt to move?

The torque converter is supposed to allow the engine to idle without the transmission pulling it down to a stall. If the torque converter is locked at idle, then when you select a gear, the vehicle wants to move but is held back by you, and stalls (think of a manual tranmission where you come to a full stop but fail to depress the clutch, the engine stalls as a result).

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 19:18:50 +0000, mtnfox31 via CarKB.com rearranged some electrons to say:

You're kidding, right?

If Check Engine Light = on, Take it to your local Autozone, have them scan it, and report back what the codes are.

Reply to
david

Reply to
mtnfox31 via CarKB.com