Dim Instrument panel lights

'81 F100....All the bulbs light, but are very dim. Rheostat works, in that it will dim them even more to Off. I can' find a electrical troubleshooter for this problem, so I'm at a loss. Advice appreciated. Thanks

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 22:50:08 -0600, putt rearranged some electrons to say:

worn-out rheostat in headlight switch.

Reply to
david

My guess is the rheostat is toast. It should adjust the lights from bright to dim, but it can fail and only adjust from dim to dimmer.

Talking about an '81 makes the light switch my first stop on the troubleshooting parade.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks. I'm gonna check the rheostat voltage In/Out. Problem is: the bulb at the AC/Heater function control and the cab light, are normal bright. Same rheostat. I'm gonna do some electrical contact point cleaning and check the ground to that assembly. Geez, 26yrs and now I'm beginning to have problems... :)

Thanks

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
nospamtolipmeat

the bulb at the AC/Heater function control and the cab light, are normal bright. Same rheostat

In that case check for the correct bulb numbers that are installed. I know its obvious, but just in case.

Reply to
Chuck