1994 Ranger 2.3 not firing all four cylynders

I have a 1994 ranger 2.3LAbout 2 weeks ago while I was driving it started runing real rough and sound like a small motorcycle but quit after about 20 sec and started running normaly, it did it again about a week later lasting only a few seconds. nows does it after driving a few miles but does it intermittently When its running rough only cylinders 2&3 on intake side is firing cylynders 1&4 and all on the exhaust side not firing at the coils. it has strong gas smell and catalitic converter gets hoter than normal. truck has 288,000 miles been running good. tried new coils but still does it. Has new catalitic and o2 sensor. any ideas ?

Reply to
swgarland

My escort did this and it turned out to be the plug wire to one cyl. was going bad. I bought a whole new set for $20 (or whatever) and it was perfect after that. Don't know your test method, but a short may seem like no spark from the coil. John

Reply to
JohnR66

I have a 93 going to the bone yard in 2-3 weeks, it had

155,000 on it when son totaled it but it still ran great.

Let me know if you need anything expensive or cheap. Will send any parts to you for cost of shipping.

Scott

Reply to
Scott