1999 f150 transmission maintenance schedule?

What mileage should the fluid, filter, etc. be changed in an AUTOMATIC trans? Thanx

Reply to
lib

Depends on the usage and how hot you've allowed it to get. Under normal driving conditions with no towing, as long as the fluid stays red, it's probably ok. What are your driving habits and what do you do with the truck?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Reply to
Paul H. Wray

Every 50,000 km here in Canada. Dealer does a full flush and new filter & fluid. That is what is in my maint schedule book and so that is what the dealer has done for my '99 F150 4x4. I don't pull a heavy trailer and the only heavy hauling I do is pulling vehicles out of ditches in the winter if I happen across someone needing help and bringing 10-15 loads of firewood home from a friend's woodlot about

20km from my place each year. Anything else I get like hardware store loads are usually pretty light in comparison.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
lmcclaf

Thanx for the info. I bought it used 4yrs/35K mi. ago. I would say it's time for a change. I've only used it for med. hauling-no towing. I have the truck serviced at a Goodyear dealer. Is this operation something they should be able to do, or should it go to a trans. shop or dealer?

Reply to
lib

There's a marvelous invention. It's called "owner's manual."

Read the damn thing and do what it says. Believe it or not, the manual is not there just to collect shit in your glove compartment.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Don't know if it's true of Fords or not but some do not recommend ATF changes in "normal service." I do not agree with those recommendations. Also some transmissions with known problems like the Ford or Chrysler FWD automatics really ought to be serviced more often than recommended to prevent issues.

I personally would recommend changes at 50K miles if no interval is given.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thank you for the valuable insight on perusing the owner's manual. If the previous owner would have possessed your wisdom and intellect (and left the manual in the glove box) I wouldn't have had the opportunity to take advantage of your sound advice on the matter.

Reply to
lib