1999 power stroke 7.3l diesel mpg

I am looking to buy a 1999 F350 2wd crew cab long box with the 7.3l diesel and drive expedited freight hauling a dual axle trailer. The trailers max load could be only 5000 lbs. I am considering a 3.42 gear to improve mpg. Can any one tell me their mpg experience?

Reply to
clarks

'99 F350 Dually SuperCrew 4X4 7.3L Auto Trans. 4.11 rear gears It has 108,000 miles.

Stock: 17hwy, 12 towing 32ft travel trailer.

Hypertech Stage III, 21hwy, 13.5 towing.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

The standard gears are 3.73 and 4.10. I wouldn't think of changing to a taller gear, you'll spend more time out of your overdrive if it is an automatic, so you wouldn't gain anything. I'd guess you'll get

10-11mpg depending on how tall the trailer is.
Reply to
Chris Hill