92 F150 no spark

My dad has a 92 F150 4x4 302 that has no spark. He had the control module and the coil tested and they are good. Before it quit running it would gallop or not stay running at all if it is cold out. He was told it might be the pick up coil in the distributer, but I was wondering what else might be a cause for no spark. We do all of the work on all of our vehicles, but are definately more familiar with GM. What makes a Ford spark? Do they use crank sensors and cam sensors and stuff? The truck was running this afternoon (and since he got it about 2 years ago) but died today with no spark. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
gorehound

Uses a pick up coil . Assuming here the module is on the side of the distributor. Pull the cap and look at the connector on the inside, they like to go gooey. Also more than once I have had modules "tested" that said good only to find out' they were bad.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You're in luck. The electronics in the distributor will run the engine, so you can limit your search to components inside the distributor plus all the other basics. There is a connector you can pull out (at least on my truck) that'll make the distributor ignore what the computer is telling it to do. With that pulled it'll run at about 20 degrees before all the time.

Reply to
Joe

My dad bought a new coil even though the old one tested good at the parts store, and now the truck runs. Thanks for the help.

Shane

Reply to
gorehound

Don't count on it. It may just be coincidence that it's working. I had an intermittent no spark problem for ages on my 92 f-150. Some days/weeks the truck would run fine, then it wouldn't start at all, for days. It did turn out to be the pickup coil inside the distributor. You may want to get a cheap code scanner for that year (around $20 on ebay), I would get an intermitten code 212 I think? which is the PIP sensor. Swapped the distributor (little more expensive than changing the PIP sensor, but MUCH easier) and haven't had a problem since. :)

Reply to
Tom