2002 Diesel with Superchip programmer

The truck is an automatic F-350. Has a Superchips tuner. Been told the truck will get better mileage on Stage I than with the stock setup. Is this true?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Once you get over the kick of having all that extra power, you'll get better mileage...i still like to put my foot into it sometimes...like to beat vettes and porches off the line at traffic lights...still a teenager at heart i guess.

Watch the EGR temps though, especially if you're gonna haul or tow. Get a big, fat exhaust system and a low restriction air filter system to go with it and you'll be even happier (power and mileage) and less worried about EGR temps...an EGR gauge wouldn't hurt either.

Reply to
Agave

Highly unlikely unless you change your driving habits. Accelerate slower, drive slower, slow down slower... But if you did that, you would probably see the same improvement even without the tuner.

Reply to
351CJ

With all due respect, your response reads as though you don't have a tuner and little or no practical experience. Changing the engine and transmission parameters by using a tuner does provide better fuel economy, especially when towing.

Keeping in mind that once the adrenaline rush from the performance gain (i.e., being able to accelerate like a rocket) wears off the fuel economy gains are realized.

More at issue are: (1) getting better air flow (intake and exhaust) to help both economy and performance, as well as EGR temps and (2) what's the ROI when you factor in the cost of the tuner and other mods to the fuel saving cost.

If you don't do alot of driving and/or towing it may take a long time to realize the ROI.

I can honestly say, from practical experience, that most performance mods on a diesel engine also result in better fuel economy...the same is not true for gasoline engines.

351CJ wrote:
Reply to
Agave

It's not my truck. We went about 150 miles yesterday with an empty trailer to pick up a car. Went there set at stage 1, came home stock, but with about

2000 pounds more weight. Got better mileage on the way up, but that would be expected. I was just curious.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I applogize Big Al, my response was meant to refute the reply of 351CJ and not directly reply to your original question. Again, I appologize for the confusion.

I still stand by my post regardless of the subsequent posts by SnoMan.

Big Al wrote:

Reply to
Agave

It's not a matter of being stupid, it's a matter of satisfying the average customer, meeting the minimum federal requirements, and making a profit. I offer the following...

It's counter intuitive and defies the laws of physics that increasing fuel economy also increases emissions. By definition emissions are the by product of the combustion process comprised of the gases and particulates. It's the inefficient engine that produces more emissions, not the efficient (i.e. better fuel economy) one.

Additionally, tuners do much more than changing the injection timing. They fiddle with many engine and transmission parameters. It's the proper fiddling that produces the gains...one perceived downside is the stronger shifting...some folks don't like that, but it's actually better for the trans and the fuel economy.

Reply to
Agave

Big Al,

What engine do you have? I have a 2000 with the 7.3L Power Stroke and it has the Superchips tuner. I know from personal experience that I get an additional 2-3 mpg's with the tuning installed, as long as I drive the same way. I drive very conservatively, which also helps with fuel consumption.

The above mpg increase applies to towing or not. However, I am towing a very heavy trailer near the max of the F-550 stock ratings. If I am towing on perfectly flat roads, I leave the tuner in. If I encounter even moderately large hills, the tuner will make the engine overheat much quicker, so I generally return the truck to stock before towing. I have EGT and transmission gauges to keep an eye on the temperatures.

By the way, my truck has a 4.88 rear differential.

Charlie

Charles Kerekes

It's not my truck:) It has the 7.3L engine, 4.11 gears. Thanks for the info.

Al

Reply to
Big Al