2003 F-250 mileage

What gas mileage should I expect from a truck descriced as F-250, Superduty, crewcab, powerstroke diesel with 6.0 Liter engine?

Reply to
James Gemmill

Six speed or automatic? What rear end axle ratio?

-- frosty

Reply to
frostalicious

You will get absolutely "0" miles per gallon of gasoline. You will also seriously damage that engine by trying to run it on gasoline.

Reply to
Tyrone

Reply to
James Gemmill

Reply to
James Gemmill

I'll take that as an "I don't know."

Reply to
EJGroth

So, you don't know either?

Reply to
Tyrone

James -

Friends of mine are getting 16 - 18 around town. They report getting 18 -

20 pulling a 30+ foot fifth wheel at 80 mph up and down hills (interstate). Can't report anything from personal experience - and who knows how much these folks are exagerating - but since most everyone I talk to report about the same - I would imagine it is pretty close. Note that these are engines that are broken in - they won't do that brand new I understand.

Don

Reply to
Don

Reply to
silverfox

Yeah.....I want one of them too. It appears that the heavier the load, the better mileage he says he's getting. I guess theoretically, if the load was heavy enough, he wouldn't actually be burning any fuel. Is it conceivable that he could actually produce fuel and sell it, if he hauled a really.......really.......really, big load?

getting 18 -

(interstate).

Reply to
Tyrone

Obviously someone didn't read the post - i.e. there is a difference between "around town" and "on the interstate". I notice that no one was willing to post anything of any use to this question of James, but everyone is around to cast stones when I volunteered what I had heard. I qualified it - if you note - that this info was not from personal experience. If anyone has more information, I would love to see someone contribute it - I would like to hear what kind of mileage the 6.0 gets myself.

Reply to
Don

James and Don . My 2002 f250 7.3 . gets 18 mpg at 65 mph with out the 25 foot

5th wheel and 11 mpg pulling the 5th at 65 mph . This is a high profile ( 12 foot high ) 5th wheel so I am in the ball park with the 7.3 for mpg. The new 6.o Lt 2003 F250 should be better with the new trany but no way will it get the mpg as your friend told you . 1 or 2 years from now I will try the new F250 . But I am happy with the 7.3 motor for now . Fox.

D> Obviously someone didn't read the post - i.e. there is a difference between

Reply to
silverfox

I think no matter what engine we are talking about, most people that think they get great milaeage are staring up at the useless overhead display that might read 29 mg coasting down hill or lightly pedaled on the flats. True mpg comes from running a tank to the end and calculating it. Silverfox is right, nobody gets that mpg towing, nobody. Goodluck with the 6.0 Don. :-) Robb

Reply to
Dr. Robert B. Hoffman

My '03 is an F350 PSD C/C lwb 2WD

I get 18 on the interstate solo and 10 pulling our 34' Cardinal Double slide.

Reply to
Rudy

Another Neanderthal response from someone who either doesn't own the oeverhead display computer or isn't smart enough to use it properly.....

Yes, it is possible to see very optimistic numbers from it..... but only right after you have fueled up. (I've seen as high as 20 mpg with my V-10 during that period.) The computer AVERAGES and right after you have fueled up, and are coasting down a hill, it certainly can show interesting numbers since it is AVERAGING some optimum conditions. Now only an idiot would call those figures gospel.

But for the informed, we run our trucks down to 1/4 tank or so and then use the number the trip computer tells us. Since it has AVERAGED over a 30 gallon or more span, it is pretty darn accurate. Always within 1/2 of a mpg in my case. And how would I know that? Because only an idiot wouldn't do routine comparisons to the tried and true gallons/miles math method that we all grew up with. (By the way, the last time I did this comparison, the trip computer was less than

1/10th of a mpg off.)

I'd suggest learning how to use your trip computer properly or quit talking trash about something you know nothing about.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4 (Lariat w/trip computer)
Reply to
Matt Mead

Matt . I hope your V10 keeps you happy and lots of camping fun for Years to come . One thing I was told years ago was if I need to know what I am getting in mpg I can not afford the rv we are driving ?. I think it was good advise but I still like to know what I am getting in mpg so maybe I am over my head ? . But it is great to know even if I have to count my $$ . ; o) . Good Camping to you and all and have lots of fun as you do it . Fox.

Matt Mead wrote:

Reply to
silverfox

I have never really calculated MPG for bragging rights or anything else. I keep track of my MPG for possible engine problems. If there is a drastic fluctuation in the MPG, I know I probably have a problem.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Brumfield

That's one reason. However, I bought my Ranger not only for it's ruggedness and reliability, but also for the gas mileage.

A habit I got from my parents. They would buy a notebook to keep in the glove compartment, and write down everything that went into the car, including any work done.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

Well I bought the F250 SD 7.3PSD to tow a 30' travel trailer and never did expect 25MPG..:-)

Reply to
Robin Brumfield

Note that the speedometer in the F-250 is electronic and that any change in tire size or type may require re-calibration of the speedometer or erroneous MPG's will be the result. I to have a F-250 PSD and on occation have gotton

22MPG but that is no load no towing freway mileage.
Reply to
JSMMV