2004 E-450 V-10 fuel pump tip for the DIY'ers

Went camping, got home, unloaded and put the MH back inthe barn. Wife went out to start it up the next day and pull it out to clean it. It wouldn't start.

Short version.......

Had it towed to my daughters boyfriends garage after he and another mechanic made a house-call to me. No codes on scanner, but no fuel pressure. Its suppose to have 60psi. It was a bad fuel pump.

I brought the old pump home because I like to tinker with things. After adding direct 12 volts, the pump wouldn't run. I reversed the polarity and it ran (was it froze-up, dead spot, etc.?). I then reversed polarity to what it is suppose to be and it kept running.

My point is......

If this happens while on the road, you might try reversing polarity to free up the pump in hopes of getting it to run without a big tow bill and such.

This is not for the faint of heart, but to do this....

Locate the wires coming from the fuel tank (4 wires - 2 for the pump and 2 for the sensor). Between the connector and fuel tank, cut and strip the Pink/black wire and the solid black wire, reverse them, while being careful not to ground out the Pink/black wire. With the key in the on position, you should hear a hum. If so, put the wires back in their original position and this should fix the problem until you get a new pump if needed.

You may still need a new pump, but this may save you big money.

2004 Ford E-450 Super Duty V-10. may work on other models.

I have been told this is a common problem.

Hank

Reply to
Hank