2004 F-150 transfer case questions...

Hi all. A coworker of mine drives a 2004 F-150 4x4. This weekend, he was able to go in reverse but the whole drivetrain locked up when it was put in drive--no forward motion at all. The dealer is claiming that both the transmission and transfer case are shot, and saying it'll cost around $8000 to fix. I can't believe that, because for under $8000 I bought a rust-free 1986 Chevy Blazer, installed a new 350 crate motor, rebuilt the tranny and rebuilt the rear axle...

I found him a rebuilt 4R75W tranny with warranty for under $900 shipped, and now I'm trying to figure out which transfer case he has. As far as I'm able to tell from Google searches, it's a NV271. Is this correct? Are there any other electronically-shifted transfer cases that are similar enough to bolt in? He only activated the 4x4 when he first got the truck to verify that it functioned. Other than that, he has no use for it.

He's just a couple thousand miles past his warranty and they're trying to stick him with this high bill. He's not mechanically inclined, so I'm trying to help him keep his costs down.

Any info or advice would be *greatly* appreciated...

Thanks,

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

I seriously doubt his problem is both the trans and the transfer case. I am guessing that he has a trans problem. Some more info in the symptom department wouldn't hurt, however.

When you say "locked up" can the truck be rolled, or are the wheels locked up? Fluid levels in trans and xfer OK? Fluid not burnt?

It's obvious the dealer is trying to fleece your friend. Don't believe a word they say, and don't rely on their recommendation that both the trans and xfer case need to be replaced. He should take it to a reputable transmission shop, preferably one that works on 4x4's.

And next time, if he doesn't need 4x4, he shouldn't get one.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

He says he can reverse, but the truck won't move forward at all...not even roll from what he told me.

Not sure. My friend isn't a mechanic at all, and it was already at the dealer when the problem was "diagnosed".

Agreed all the way around... But in the event that the transfer case is toast, which transfer case was used? Is it the NV273?

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

The transfer case will have a very prominent data plate attached to it, one must simply crawl underneath and wipe away the dirt and read it.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo