2004 Mountaineer stalling while driving

My daughter has a 2004 awd mountaineer that has stalled out twice now while trying to maneuver through a left turn at a traffic light. Took it in many months ago when it first happened and they found nothing wrong with it.

Did it again today at the same intersection, ironically. She was in motion both times just turning left at an intersection and had to muscle it into a position where she could restart it safely without geting clobbered. Indicator on, radio on, braking, turning the wheel... whatever. Pretty normal stuff.

Any suggestions? I've hit this site twice when problems surfaced on my Ranger & you folks were spot on with the diagnosis. Saved me lots of headaches and money.

2 small children traveling in this vehicle & if it could happen at high speeds it may be a serious scenario.

thanks in advance...suzi g

Reply to
suzikg

Just a guess ...

The ignition switch has wires that run down the steering column, when turning left, the wires are able to break momentarily and shut the engine down. The ignition switch provides electricity to the rest of the system, and if the right wire was being chaffed somehow, or stretched, then the electricity it provides can go away momentarily and kill the motor because the computer that needs the electricity goes dead.

I would suggest that the lost signal would post to the on board computer, even though there may not be a Check Engine light. You guys can go to AutoZone and they will pull the engine codes for you free of charge, and see if there are any codes that relate to lost power.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

This is a much bigger longshot than Jeff's post, but bears telling even if just for its peculiarity. My father had a work car that started dying at a certain intersection. On realizing there was a huge number of power lines there, he speculated that he may have spark plug wires in bad enough shape that the magnetic field from the overhead lines could be interacting with them and causing the stall. At home, he started the car, popped the hood and wiggled and distorted spark plug wires till he found some that were failing, causing a miss. Whether his theory was the cause or a freakish coincidence, I don't know, but he replaced the wires and didn't have the problem again.

Regarding engine codes, my Chilton's manual for my truck lists all the codes and explains how to get the codes out of the computer yourself with a ohmmeter. Good luck.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:08:36 -0800, Matt rearranged some electrons to say:

Sounds like a coincidence to me. The far field from a power line would not be strong enough to interfere with your car. You cannot read OBD-2 codes with an ohmmeter. I guess your truck is pre-

1996.
Reply to
david

I didn't know that; it's a '95. The Man's gotta keep us down.

Reply to
Matt