'99 Ranger dome light

Odd problem with a '99 Ranger my son bought the other day.

The Door Ajar light was on solid and the previous owner had pulled the dome light fuse. WD-40'ed the door switches and the Door Ajar light now works as it should, but the dome light still remains on constantly with the switch in any position. Moving the switch slowly from right to left, I can find a "sweet spot" where each one will turn off individually, but in any of the actual switch positions, they remain light no matter if the doors are open or closed. I would have assumed that the dome light was controlled by the same switch the Door Ajar light was. Am I missing something obvious?

Reply to
scrape

The instrument panel lights have a knob that adjusts their intensity, when fully to the BRIGHT setting, there is a detent that turns the dome light(s) on.

I suggest you go over ALL of the linkages that you applied WD40 to, and apply a liberal dose of solvent to clean the WD40 away. WD40 is good -- sort of -- to free sticky parts, but when WD40 dries, it becomes another gooey mess that you will have to get rid of. WD40 is not a lubricant, and it will cause far more problems than it solves if you leave it in place.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks. I did have him hit the same switches with contact cleaner this afternoon. I'll check that switch in a few.

thanks for the info.

Reply to
scrape

Fixed it!