2006 Ford 12 Passenger Van

Looking at a used 2006 350 at the local Ford dealer. It was a lease program vehicle with 22,000 miles. It's got a big V8, 5.4 or 5.8 litre something like that. 4 speed auto with overdrive. The salesman couldn't give me an accurate mileage rating for the vehicle. He said it wasn't required for all vehicles. I imagine he didn't want to scare me off! Does anyone have any idea what the highway mileage would be for this vehicle?

Reply to
Patty O

If you're lucky, you might hit double digits. I believe the tests I read were something like 9 city/11 hwy.

Reply to
gw

Yes maybe low teens on highway and a 5.4 is not a big engine for that boat. If you plan to be loaded a lot you should get a V10. MPG might be a bit less in town but at least it will be able to get out of its own way better. One more thing and do not take this wrong. The 12 passanger Ford vans are not very stable or forgiveng with loaded heavy because of the momentum of the long over hang in rear as a lot of them have lost control with them in sudden manuveres when loaded. You would do well to consider a GM extended van (this is not a Ford/GM thing just the physics involved here) because GM wisely moved the axle back with extension and it makes it a lot more stable loaded with the trade off of a slightly increased turning radius. They also tow better for same reason because trailer load in closer to axle. I have a freind that has towed a 9K work trailer with a GM extended van for several years and he has had no stabilty issues at all and runs a high tongue weight and no equailizing hitch either.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I have the same vehicle in the half ton version, which simply means they didn't put in the back seat and didn't give me the heavy duty suspension. Mine's also a 5.4.

Yours is going to be heavier than mine by a fair margin due to the heavy duty suspension.

In the Washington D.C. suburbs, all city driving, I get 10 or 11. On the highway, I'll usually get 15 or 16.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Thanks for the head's up on that issue, but it looks to me like they moved the axle back on the 2006 Fords also. I guesstimate the back side of the rear tire is about 18" from the rear bumper. 2 feet at the very most but I doubt that much. I've seen those other vans around town that have the long tail, even looks like the back end of the body is pasted on on some of them. This van doesn't have that tail at all.

Also thanks to those of you that offered the gas mileage estimations. Confirmed my suspicions, and that is the one thing that is holding me back. I'd like a bit more towing capacity than the 4.3GM 1/2 ton I own now, but I don't really need a one ton hauling capacity. And I sure don't need all those bench seats! The van just appealed to me because it is a used 2006 with plenty of warranty miles left on it.

Thanks again for your replies.

Reply to
Patty O

This is good to hear. It is long overdue and gives consumers more safe choices too. Ford make a good sturdy van in heavier duty model. I just do not like that long tail on the extended ones

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

The 12 passenger Ford is not an extended length van. It's standard length. But you make a good argument if ths were an extended van.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I was thinking 15 passanger then, sorry.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

bad as the fords were/are for overhang, anyone remember the Dodge maxi Vans? Now there was some over hang, like a 53 foot trailer with the axles slid all the way forward.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Yes I remember them well I had a friend that bought one the first few years they came out.

SnoMan

We still have a 1999 at church with only 36k miles. I don't like it at all.

CJB

Reply to
CJB