5.0L Knock Sensor

I suspect my knock sensor is the source of my "pinging" problem. My question is where is it located on a '95 5.0 L F-150?

Reply to
RGV

IIRC, the sensor is located on top of the back of the block. They do not often fail. A far more likely cause of ping is a dirty MAF sensor or a problem with the EGR system. The EGR is fitted with an EVP sensor that many times becomes iffy giving an incorrect value to the ECM yet, it is still within range enough no to set a fault code. It is easily replaced. The MAF will require a tamper resistant torx bit to remove for cleaning. The bits are available at most parts houses. Instructions and photos for cleaning an MAF can be found on the net. The EVP sensor is easily replaced. In any case, the ECM should be reset after either of these services or repairs so the ECM can relearn the operating parameters of the power train. It can be reset by removing the negative battery cable for 15-20 minutes if you do not have access to a scan tool to do this. If you are facing a short deadline for an emissions inspection, you do not want to reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery as the ECM needs a period of driving under different conditions to set all of it's flags as ready for inspection. This may vary amongst vehicles and drivers.

Reply to
lugnut

I had the same problem with ping, I replaced the O2 Sensor and it went away. I had 75K on the engine.

Good Luck

"RGV" wrote in news:nCflc.65285$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

Reply to
surfcaster