7.3 diesel "surging"

Hey guys, just looking for some ideas. I have an 02 F350 with the 7.3. as I'm sure some have experienced, when it's cold the engine surges up and down for quite a while until it's really warm. (major annoyance when going down the highway for the first 10 miles) Dealer plugged it in- no codes, so don't do **** all about it. read a service bulletin to change to 30 weight oil in the winter, helps very little. I've heard other 7.3's do the same thing. Anybody had any luck solving this problem? Do the 6 litres do the same? Don't really want to get rid of it. but what a pain in the ass. Thanks for any advice

Reply to
dave

I haven't had this problem. How cold? Tried plugging it in? Closest thing here is a bit of that backing up when cold, especially bad with delo 400 for some reason.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Thanks Chris, Doesn't seem to matter if it's very cold. -2celcius. 30 farh.. it always does it..plug it in doesn't help..(helps start quicker) but still surges up and down. manual trans, parking brake on revs up to warm up, but whistles like a bitch up and down, then drive and it goes for at least 15 mins even though its warm. You can really feel the difference in power when its doin it.. I've heard econolines with same motor do it too.

Reply to
dave

Hi, I own a 2000 F250 SD and when it is cold it surges, I press on the pedal a little and the surge goes away. I also plug my truck in, this helps a lot. I have had temps at or around 10 to 20 degrees F.

Reply to
Sweet34

I wish mine went away that quick, but this is only the beginning of the cold in canada. and it gets worse. wouldn't mind so much just during warm up, but with the temp gauge at halfway and doing it while driving sucks..pulling a

36 foot trailer is a royal pain..
Reply to
dave

What about in warm weather? If it is fine there, you must understand that the glow plugs operate in cold weather off and on until the engine is warmed up; I suspect you have bad plugs or relay or something in that system. The wts light is controlled differently, so just because it is running doesn't mean things are all right. Get a scanner and check to see if the glow plugs are ever working.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I drive an 03 F250 with the new 6.0. I had this problem when it was new. I found out that there was a Ford service bulletin about it. I took it back to the dealer who had a update available for the ECM. Once updated the problem disappeared completely. I also put 25,000 kilometres on 03 E350 Van with the 7.3 for my employer and it has never done this. Good luck.

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks for the advice guys, I talked to a dude with same truck same problem. He installed bullydog chipset, after the program installed went away. Too bad the dealers can't seem to help. tried 3 different ones in 3 cities

Reply to
dave

Damn Glad you said that. I just bought an 05 F250 and am waiting for some options to be installed before I pick it up. I asked the salesman about the surging problem, and he said the engine in mine had been modified to stop that.

Bud

Bud To those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will ever know. Anonymously scrawled on a bunker at Khe Sahn, RVN.

Reply to
Budroe