7.3 Diesel starting problem

Hi all,

f-250, 1991 pre powerstroke 7.3 4x4 stick.

Upon first starting the glowplugs do their thing, I crank, it starts, runs(no more than a few seconds), and quits like it ran out of fuel. Extended period of fast cranking later it fires up like nothing was wrong. Then it will run all day with no further problems. Next morning, same problem.

A little history. Batteries are about 5 months old. I have gone through the glow plugs recently. Immediately prior to this new problem some of the plastic fittings on the fuel return rail cracked. I replaced the fittings. Bled the air out of the fuel filter. I find no leaks on the motor fuel lines. Now this new problem, I'm stumped.

Any takers?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reply to
Harry in Iowa

Try this site.

would be surprised if it took more than an hour to get an answer to yourquestion. For what is worth, your problem may be the Cam position sensor (CPS) HTH, Keith

Reply to
Keith Rhoda

No cam sensor on that engine. Good guess tho.

You're sucking air in the fuel system somewhere.

Steve Barker

"Steve Barker" held forth in news:rTySd.20176$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

snip

Thanks, I'll go over the fittings again and check for leaks.

Reply to
Harry in Iowa

sounds like air in the fuel system. if you find no leaks, try this. if you have dual tanks, switch tanks. let it sit overnight and try again in morning. if it starts and runs ok, you may have isolated it further. if results are the same let me know, I have a few other things to try.

Reply to
dieselmech32