Change to limited slip

I see for sale on ebay from time to time tracloc limited slip differentials. I understand how they work but would there be any disadvantage to swapping out the standard differential in my 86 2wd auto Comanche? I sure would like the extra traction on ice and wet boat ramps. How hard would the swap be? Can I do it without special tools and without disturbing the gear alignment? Anything else I should know about compatability?

Reply to
Stephen R. Conrad

L.W.(ßill)

It's nice to have, but there are caveats. First, on ice it can be a bitch and a half. What happens is that when the first wheel looses traction it transfers the demand to the one that isn't slipping (as designed). Now that one starts slipping and both wheels (and the whole rear end start looking for the ditch. It's good to get rolling, but it can be really testy driving up a hill. You'll have to learn how it acts before you decide that on balance it is a good thing. Second, the clutch packs wear fairly quickly - I doubt that one that is used very hard will last more than 70-80K without becoming essentially an open diff. It's not that expensive or difficult to replace the clutches - I looked at mine when I first bought but decided that it had spent it's life as a highway that didn't stress the clutches - but it does take some sweat time.

Reply to
Will Honea