84 Ranger idle problem ( 2.8L V6 )..... HALP !!!

I recently had to go thru the heads of a 84 Ranger I was given. Now that it is all back together, it doesnt want to idle. The timing was set according to the under hood sticker ( 10 deg Before TDC ), however we get a very irratic & rough idle. Now if I toss the timing light, and play with the distributor, I can get a smooth idle. This critter has gotta be smogged, and the smog shop hooks up a timing light, sets the timing and wont test it cause it's missing and idling rough.

OK....... I know I aint the sharpest chisel in the shed, but, can't figure what I am missing ?. Vacuum is good and steady, compression is good with no major variations, but this thing idles like it has 200 year old gas and no vacuum.

Any ideas or thoughts ???

Thanks for your time

John

Reply to