Re: What is a Serpentine Valve?

I just took my 2000 Ranger XL V6, with only 20,000 miles on it (it only goes

> 6 miles a day) in to the dealer for an oil change and they said that my > Serpentine Valve needed to be replaced. Now I thought I had heard > everything, but I have no idea what this is...Serpentine Chain yes, but > valve? > > Any insight would be appreciated. > > thanks, > Valerie > >

Probably said serpentine BELT. It drives the alternator, power steering pump and air conditioner compressor. It should last longer than 20, 000 miles. Get another opinion.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

I'd suggest giving them a knowing grin and saying 'show me.' If they're flim-flamming, they'll back off, and if there is a replaceable device on your vehicle for which there may be a slang term with which you are unfamiliar (damn kids anyway), as soon as you see what's what, you can say 'oh, thanks' without ever having to admit that you were clue free for a moment.

Dave

Reply to
David Ward

I agree. I have the original belt on my 93 Ranger and I would replace it if I thought it needed it, but it doesnt. Preventative maintenance is a good idea but I think they are trying to take advantage of you in this case.

Reply to
Scott

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:09:45 -0400, Frank K. rearranged some electrons to form:

Isn't the serpentine valve right next to the muffler bearings?

:-)

Reply to
David M

in front of the muffler bearing, right behind the Crenshaw Framnambulator

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

electrons to

Framnambulator

And the problem can be real serious if at the same time, the pilot light goes out in the carburetor.

Reply to
Baghdad Bob

I wanna see a picture of this serpentine chain.

I think this might the woman that started this thread.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry P

|>> Any insight would be appreciated. |>>

|>> thanks, |>> Valerie |>>

|> Probably said serpentine BELT. It drives the alternator, power steering |> pump and air conditioner compressor. It should last longer than 20, 000 |> miles. Get another opinion. |> |> Frank | |Isn't the serpentine valve right next to the muffler bearings?

Years ago when I was a rookie parts guy and full of cnfidence that I was the best thing to hit the parts business in decades.....

A customer comes in and asks for "alternator hose for a 1970 VW Beetle". I looked through the Gates catalog for a good long time before it dawned on me, and I said "Wait a minute - VWs are aircooled, they don't have hoses!"

Of course, even if they did, it would be a rare one that had a hose on the alternator :) Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B