'90 F150. - Air hose question

1990 F150 , 5.0 v8, 4x4 , longbox.

Bought it recently for $500. Truck has 170k miles, "Rebuilt Engine has 65k. Rusty, but runs strong and starts immediately and doesn't burn oil. No regrets.

Theres a hose fitting at the base of the air filter housing. Its empty. Theres a hose fitting at the base of the oil filler cap, also empty.

I'm figuring the two go together under the general category of PCV but dont find it in the chilton book i have. "Finger Test" shows negative air pressure at both fittings.

Do I have it correct? WTF is this hose called co I can track/find a replacement part?

Thanks , Mike D

Reply to
mpdsville1

It is the crankcase vent hoes. It allows the PCV to draw clean air from the air cleaner thru the left rocker cover into the engine where is completes the trip thru the engine. It was originally a plastic tube connected on each end with rubber elbows. Any light weight flexible tubing that is oil resistant should work. If you feel a vacuum at the air cleaner connection, you may have a choked air filter that needs replacing.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks Lugnut.

The vacuum at the air filter side is slight. The one at the valve cover side is pronounced. The one at the air filter side is on the "dirty side" of the filter though, and the filter is new. I'll rig a pipe between the two if i cant find one at a junk yard. ( different sizes on each end, so ill check the yards) . I'll check the intake funnel on the front side of the filter for stray cats, squirrils, and pinecones

Appreciate the response!

Mike D

Reply to
mpdsville1

Thanks Lugnut.

The vacuum at the air filter side is slight. The one at the valve cover side is pronounced. The one at the air filter side is on the "dirty side" of the filter though, and the filter is new. I'll rig a pipe between the two if i cant find one at a junk yard. ( different sizes on each end, so ill check the yards) . I'll check the intake funnel on the front side of the filter for stray cats, squirrils, and pinecones

As far as the pipe itself is concerned, is there any hardware in there or is it a straight thru airway? ( no PCV valve type critter involved )

Appreciate the response!

Mike D

Reply to
mpdsville1

There should be a small (2" or so) clip on foam filter inside air filter housing that the one connection is filtered through. It is just to keep debris from entering the valve cover and potentially cause damage to the engine. It is called a PCV filter.

Reply to
Razorblade