99 Ranger - 2 questions

My son's got a '99 Ranger that needs shocks and by virtue of the mileage, a timing belt. 2.5 4cyl, regular cab, 2WD. No off road. No lift kit.

Question 1: What brand/model shocks do you like? From what I can find on the Web, Rancho and Bilstien seem to be highly rated. Is this where I ought to be looking?

Question 2: Assuming basic mechanical knowledge and aptitude, can I do the timing belt? I do brakes, tune up stuff, fuel filters, water pumps, starters & alternators, basic electrical stuff, injectors, sensors, etc. Is this something a Chilton's could get me through, or do I need to find someone adept at this particular task? I've been given one free clue: only cut half (width-wise) of the old belt off before starting to install the new one so as to not have to worry about timing marks. Then cut the rest of the old one off. I'd likely do the water pump and tensioner as long as I'm in there.

Reply to
scrape