Aerostar ABS problems

My cousin has a 92 Areostar that he uses as a work van (he's a carpenter) anyway his teenage son put power steering fluid in the brakes and well, now he has none. Doing a break job isn't something that normally causes concern but this van has ABS and the crappy Haynes manual he has only tells me that I'm too stupid to work on ABS and to take it to the dealer.

I've found good prices on a rebuilt master cylinder and calipers. Rear wheel cylinders are cheap too. I don't expect the rubber hydraulic lines are going to be very expensive and I may get used ones from a wrecking yard.

Now getting back to the problem, can I just bypass the ABS on this rig? According to the manual the pre 89 models didn't have it anyway. Is this going to take major plumbing to get around?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony

BAD IDEA. Buy new hoses. It's not worth the effort of installing an old hose, assuming you like your cousin and want him to stay alive.

Don't make Haynes turn out to be right... get a decent manual, and fix it right, or take it to someone who can.

Reply to
Mark Olson

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:44:35 +0000, Anthony rearranged some electrons to form:

DON'T FART AROUND WITH BRAKES IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Your life depends on it.

Reply to
David M

I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING AND THANKS FOR THE SHOUTING. I was a motorcycle mechanic for over 15 years. I'm not farting around and I don't know why you guys think brakes are something mystical. I'm sure I can figure it out when I'm under the rig but it would have been nice to talk to some one that had model specific experience. If it weren't for the ABS, I wouldn't have even needed a manual to do the brakes.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony

On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:11:48 +0000, Anthony rearranged some electrons to form:

I don't think brakes are mystical. I have done plenty of brake work. It's just that anyone who is planning to rebuild a brake system with old brake hoses from a junkyard certainly doesn't seem to know what they are doing. Don't be cheap on brakes. Your life is worth more than that.

Reply to
David M

If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be talking about putting on used brake hoses, or bypassing the ABS for that matter. Just add a RABS valve to the list of parts you already know about. Bob

Reply to
Bob