Auto transmission questions.

Have a 1992 E 250 van. Bought new. Has auto transmission I think it called an E04. Always maintained as user book shows. Has 51000 miles. Ever since new it seems there is too much slippage when starting up in gear. Engine races too much, not a positive acceleration. Other brands I have had GM and Infiniti have a much more solid take off. SO is this the nature of the beast or could it be corrected with a different chip in the computer or what else. However in back country use no problem with sufficient power on steep stuff. Any ideas are welcome. This is first time to this site. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber" <hiview68NO

If tranny is slipping, not chip will fix that but what are you basing the slipping theory on? What is your engine RPM durring these times?

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

If you have the 5.0L engine, the trans also has a higher stall converter which make it seem like it is slipping. Another thing that can make it sound like it is slipping unusually is a bad fan clutch keeping the fan engaged too much. This makes the engine sound louder and will also take a lot of power to drive that may make the vehicle feel a bit sluggish as if the trans is slipping. I get this in hot weather a lot especially when in traffice with the a/c running full boogy. Basically, if the E4OD is slipping excessively, it will set a fault code and start flashing the OD cancel light.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Kinda my thoughts here too. That is why I was asking what he was basing his "spilling" theroy on, feel or actual RPM.

SnoMan

The nature of the beast is to seem a bit sloppy and not produce very solid shifts, but that doesn't mean it's designed to slip. Heed Lugnut's advise. I'd recommend that if you have the ability, to check out the trans yourself; if not, take the van to a qualified repair facility. If all checks out to be fine, then you may want to consider getting a tuner chip, trans command module, different torque converter, and/or performance rebuild kit. Don't however, just make a performance mod before making sure the trans is already in good condition - doing so, will shorten the life of the trans.

Reply to
Agave

Thanks to all that replied. Will check out all that was noted . I don't have a tach on it. Trans has been this way since new. I made it into a mini motor home and happy with the gas miles. Get 12 to 16 MPG. I do have the 5,0 engine. Weighs out at 8000 lbs. Warren

Reply to
Warren Weber" <hiview68NO