Avalon tires replaced - smooth ride nirvana!

My '97 Avalon's Michelin MXV-4's were starting to approach the wear bars so I've been spending lots of time at the Tire Rack, various web sites, and here lurking and researching what tire will give me the smoothest ride and be decent in the wet. I'm not concerned about best tire for highest g-force going as fast as I can around some cul-de-sac in the neighborhood, just wanted smooth and quiet.

The original Bridgestones rode like bricks, letting you know the height and width of every expansion joint in the pavement. They were worn out at

17,000 miles, even with alignments and driving sensibly. The MXV's were better, riding more smoothly, though they too transmitted almost all of the road texture (horrendous grooved pavement noise), small bumps, and expansion strip 'kerplop/kerplop/kerplop' through sound and feel. At 47,000 it was time to replace them.

This car eats tires up for a living, my friend's Honda Accord's original MXV's lasted over 70,000 miles. I've probably had 5 or 6 alignments over the years. Car has always pulled slightly to right, though tire wear has always been uniform.

Guess it's the nature of the beast, though I don't care quite as much as it's been so reliable, still no major problems at all after 8 years. (knock on wood) I had headlight flickering at speed but it went away after I changed all the bulbs in the car (except the dash), with Sylvania bulbs. ? Even the dash lights brightened significantly after I did that. ?? (by the way, -don't- replace your stoplights etc. with Wagner bulbs, one burnt out after a week, and the Wagner headlights were horribly dim, hence the Sylvania's)

After much hand-wringing I finally went with NTB Yokohama AS430's, which are supposedly remarked Yoko Avid 4hs's, rated good at Tire Rack. I was reluctant changing from Michelin, as I have bought Michelins for probably

30+ years now, nothing else. They are good tires. But I knew what the MXV's rode like, and the high cost, and decided to take a chance.

These tires make the ride so quiet and smooth it's like driving a different car. Extremely quiet on rough concrete, low road noise so far (up to 70) compared to the MXV's (even when they were new), and the expansion strips down my street are virtually non-existent now, either they aren't heard or felt, the worst ones just a muted soft thump that is almost unnoticeable. I would describe the ride as 'supple'. These are incredible tires! I have them set at 34 pounds. I can't vouch for longevity, reliability, or what they might ride like after 20,000 miles, but new they're leaps and bound ahead of the other two brands the Avalon rode on. Highly recommended so far.

And maybe they'll go around the cul-de-sac pretty well too! Someone else can try that. :)

Unk

Reply to
Unk

What did you pay for them? I would love to cure the rough ride, clackety clack that my 2000 exhibits. Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

we had a 98 Avalon with the Potenza's - hydroplaning at about same mileage 18000 - went to Michelins

Bought 02 Avalon had Dunlops really bad. Dealer replaced the fronts at 12000 with more Dunlops - for shit ride - Costco again at 18000 for Michelins

Just got 05 Avalon Limited - Muchelin MXV4 standard so hopefully will be fine. BUT OEM tires seem to always be crappy (as were Duelers on my Highlander) Michelin crossterrains now have about 25000 on them and are better than duelers, IMHO, new.

By the way, other than strut rattle on the 98, both previous Avalons were very good.

Ron

Reply to
ron