Chipping 2.0 Hdi. 90 bhp

Anyone with experience of chipping the above engine? Either in-line box or ECU adjustment? Please share the pro`s/con`s. My own priority is motorway at 70/80 mph and increased wear/tear on engine ? Happy Motoring Wally

Reply to
walter.lindsay

An intercooler would be a good start (110bhp then) then maybe a chip.

Reply to
Cheater2k

Hi Wally, I have a HDI 90 and have had it chipped. I looked a various differant companies all with varying prices at around £450. I found a company on the net

that will doit for £250. I rang them and they claim that the chip they do for the ECU will give an extra 23bhp.(this will give more tork at lower revs.) and use less fuel. The engine is normally govened so it will run foever in any condition and if its not serviced. so chipping it will put it back to what it should do as long as you service it regular. So in effect your not making the engine work harder, just putting it back to normal. You have to send your ECU to them, they chip it and send it back the same day. I wanted mine chipping because I'm a sad man with a caravan, and I wanted a bit more tork.

I have seen a differance and glad I had it done. People on this BB may say you should have bought a HDI 110, but the differance was £2000 and the HDI

90 I bought was in mint condition.

Hope this helps

Richard

Reply to
Cabin

Thanks for your thoughts on chipping. Money played a part in my buying the

90 rather than 110 but , that`s life. I shall look at the £250 offer, it is very competitive in comparison to anything elsewhere. Wally
Reply to
walter.lindsay

So are you saying that the HDI 90 has no intercooler or a different intercooler?

All Turbo diesels have an intercooler.

On modern cars and especially with disels you can't really increase power without modifying the software

You can mod your engine all you want (big exhaust, KNI filter, large air charge cooler, blah blah) but at the end of the day the ECU is programmed to know its a 90bhp car that does 50mpg.

Your ECU won't sit there and go "Christ! Now I can suck in twice as much cold air .. so I will go faster" it will say "Hang on a sec, I don't want that much cold air right now, I better reduce the boost or I'll have to put more fuel into the mixture to ballence it out and therefore I'll be dropping the mpg to 35mpg which I am not allowed to do at these engine RPMs"

This is where a larger intercooler makes a difference.

Now your cars a 90bhp HDI, its a hot day, and you put your foot down. The car is not 90bhp in all conditions. The air is too hot and not dense enough so its more like 80bhp today.

Now you have a big intercooler and its hot again. This time the air is half the temperature and much denser, therefore it can deliver the full 90bhp.

IF you want your nice new big intercooler to make a positive effect under normal cool weather conditions you need to reprogram your ecu to tell it its a 110bhp car so now, when its got the airflow and fuel available to it, it can produce

110bhp under good conditions.

The last thing I would like to say about chipping is £250 is a rip off for less then 5mins work. As an electronic engineer, I have several device programmer and adapters for TSOP etc, so if I had the software, I could chip the car myself for a couple of quid for the blank eprom chip (if the one already in the ecu is erasable then it would cost nothing)

Oh, just remembered another thing. The D series 406's can be rechipped in 10 seconds by plugging the programmer into the diagnostic port under the dashboard where the fuse box is. Superchip do this 10second operation for £495 .... now you can't get more of a profit margin then that!

I'm not sure if the older shape 406s can be done by the diagnostic port (quite probably as peugeot use this to download ammendments into your car when on a full service)

Luke

As with most of peugeots identically sized engines, the difference in power is down to the software

Reply to
Luke Wells

I've had my 306 90hp chipped by superchips. It was £500, but I didn't have to send the ecu away and have my old ecu in a box if I want to restore it.

The difference is noticeable and I would imagine going back it would feel a bit weedy.

As an example, I followed a Puma from about 30mph on an dual carriageway up to 70 and did not lose any ground - have also done the same with 2.0 petrol mondeo, so it's no slouch.

I haven't had any problems, and the garage I had it done at had not had 1 car back and they've been doing conversions for 3-4 years (it was lotus).

Check your insurance company isn't too hard on engine mods. It's intercooler and electrics on the 406 that's the difference.

Reply to
Simon

the 90 has NO intercooler the 110 has an intercooler

Not this time. Could explain why loads of HDi's are blowing headgaskets before 60k. (if your lucky to get that far). Known problem.

Reply to
SimonDS

I have an intercooler in my hdi-90

I didn't know about them blowing head gaskets before 60k

I'm up to 74k in mine, i've had loads of niggling problems and now when cold the head rattles like the cams are worn ... this could be a sign that bad things are to come then

Luke

Reply to
Luke Wells

Sorry Guys-- I started this but it seems to be getting awfully complicated. Can anyone tell me is it cheaper to buy and fit an intercooler or do we con the

90hp ECU into thinking it is 110??? No apologies for keeping it simple(KISS). Happy Motoring Wally.

Reply to
walter.lindsay

Sorry Guys -- I started this but, it is getting awfully complicated. So far, I buy/fit an intercooler and my 90 becomes a 110? This is less expensive than conning the ECU???? Then, being torque/power-mad, I go for the in-line box or the ECU gets it?? Surely, the over-heating problems which exist on the Hdi units are due to coolant loss in hoses or radiator blockages?? Ain`t thermodynamics fun but, not as much as the internet. Keep it COOL, Wally.

walter.lindsay

> > that

Reply to
walter.lindsay
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ So, do I buy/fit the intercooler and my 90 becomes a 110? Perhaps,for less money than an in-line box or messing about with the ECU? Surely, the over-heating problems are due to coolant loss at hoses and/or radiator blockages? Keep it COOL, Wally.
Reply to
walter.lindsay

So 90 + intercooler = 110 at what cost? Seems maybe a better bet than ECU trickery. Anyone done it? Wally.

Reply to
walter.lindsay

No, the ECU software on the HDI 110 is different to the HDI 90

putting in the intercooler (which my HDI 90 has anyway ?! ) will not turn your car into a hdi 110

Reply to
Luke Wells

Looks like I wasted my time typing that message if you arn't even going to read it

FITTING AN INTERCOOLER DOES NOT TURN A HDI90 INTO A HDI110 THERE ARE SOFTWARE DIFFERENCES

Fitting an intercooler will give you consistant performance at full throttle in warm to hot weather

Reply to
Luke Wells

Hello,

Interresting, as I saw a HDI90 having none... Oh, BTW, and don't think I wanna laugh of you, haven't you made the confusion with the aircon ?

The HDi 90 shouldn't have any intercooler, moreover its engine code is DW10T (DW series, 2.0l, Turbo) - 110HP code is DW10TE (DW series, 2.0l T, intercooler).

Regards, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr snipped-for-privacy@ironmaiden.com

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

if you fit and intercooler PLUS new ecu you'll get a 110. Cost? well i'm guessing a bit but an ECU is £500 and an intercooler ATLEAST £400.

Reply to
SimonDS

Hello Luke,

It is, under certain conditions.

I guess the reason is slightly different. The HDi (as any Commonrail engine) is built around a hi-pressure pump. This pump is made of 3 pistons, two of them always on, the third one having a clutch. It is interesting to see that this third piston gives you access to the highest pressures. It is deactivated under some conditions, one of them being a fuel temp above

70°C. In this case, you'll stay with low pressure range (800 bars, perhaps), and the ECU will cope with that. This temp of 70° may seem high, but could be reached with high pressures (sports driving). This is my explaination, nothing to see with fuel economy or whatsoever... Pug doesn't care if you trash your car : you're responsible of your right foot's behaviour :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T