Question about Mass Air Flow sensor

No listing for a mass air flow sensor (I work in auto parts).. But you do have a MAP sensor. If you do have one it may be a dealer only item.

Reply to
m6onz5a

This is a question about a mass air flow sensor. The check engine light on my 1993 Pontiac Sunbird with a 4 cylinder engine began coming on a few days ago. It will come on for a few seconds and then go out, but it stays off most of the time,

I checked the codes by jumpering the A&B terminals on the socket to flash the check engine light. It indicated a bad oxygen sensor and a bad mass air flow sensor according to the codes chart in my Haynes manual.

When I went to the auto parts stores around here they all said there is no such thing as a mass air flow sensor for this car in their database. Will somebody please tell me what this is about? I am not a mechanic, but I think that if it gives a code for a mass air flow sensor according to the Haynes manual, then there must be one on the car somewhere. The auto parts stores seem to think that my car doesn't have one. Thank you for the help.

Nope, No MAF on that engine. There is a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) on it though. Haynes is not the best source on auto repair. They are OK for some stuff, but not as your only source.

What you need to do is test the MAP and the O2 sensor and see what they are actually doing. I would check ALL the vacuum lines for cracks or rot. A leak could be causing both codes.

Reply to
Steve W.

Does your car have a mass air flow sensor? It'll be somewhere inbetween the air filter and throttlebody. Google it and you can find pics of what to look for.

The Haynes manual is probably covering multiple years, multiple engines.

Ray

Reply to
ray