Mass Air Flow Sensor Assy for 1990 Plymouth Laser

There's no Plymouth newsgroup, so I'm hoping someone here might know = about this.....

Anyone know where to find a working used mass air flow transmitter for =

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon or Plymouth Laser, DOHC non-turbo?

Here's the sensor:

The new part is $650 new from the dealer. Rebuilt is available online = and at the local parts stores for $450. Still quite a bit of $$ for me. = So far local junk yards don't have one.

Before I shell out that kind of money for this old car, I'll take a stab = at rebuilding it myself, but can't find much info about that either.=20

Anyone have any tips on rebuilding one of these or know anyone who can = do it for less than $200?=20

Thanks in advance.=20

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

Have you tried this place ?

They show a reman for $168.

You can also try here for used :

Mike

with a 54 dollar core charge
with a 15 dollar core

Anyone know where to find a working used mass air flow transmitter for 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon or Plymouth Laser, DOHC non-turbo?

Here's the sensor:

The new part is $650 new from the dealer. Rebuilt is available online and at the local parts stores for $450. Still quite a bit of $$ for me. So far local junk yards don't have one.

Before I shell out that kind of money for this old car, I'll take a stab at rebuilding it myself, but can't find much info about that either.

Anyone have any tips on rebuilding one of these or know anyone who can do it for less than $200?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Reply to
Rob

has lots of them and so does eBay.com

Reply to
SRN

Thanks, guys. Found one for just under $200 and got the the day after = ordering.

is a good site - enter the part and they = give a list of distributors.

Now the sob story - that wasn't the problem. I swapped it out and runs = better but still running way too rich both at idle and road speed. = Anyone run across this problem before?

Reply to
Guv Bob

Have you checked the O2 sensor ? Is the check engine light on, any codes stored ???

Reply to
Mike

the1990 cars were OBD1 systems. you'll need to do the key on off thing to get codes, if it actually stored any.

your O2 sensor may be telling your PCM its too lean and to turn on a richer mixture. but its it doing it cold and hot? it could be junk in an injector keeping the valve open, it might be some junk in your throttle body as well, a lot of folks forget to take it off and clean it out from time to time.

Reply to
Rob

transmitter

non-turbo?

Thanks Rob & Mike. No engine light on. No codes. I reset the computer = and no error codes. (Reset by disconnecting battery, shorted cables, = turned key a few times, reconnected).

I picked up some repair manuals and will look at the O2 sensor & fuel = injector this weekend. Injector or something else mechanical sounds = like it could be it. The car ran great and passed smog with flying = colors in August. Then sat for 3 months in storage. I'm wondering what = could have deteriorated or got stuck while sitting - regular mechanic is = also a smog test & repair station and has gone as far as he can without = starting to spend serious $$$.

Thanks again - will be posting for weeks I'm afraid til it gets fixed.

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

transmitter

non-turbo?

Thanks Rob & Mike. No engine light on. No codes. I reset the computer = and no error codes. (Reset by disconnecting battery, shorted cables, = turned key a few times, reconnected).

I picked up some repair manuals and will look at the O2 sensor & fuel = injector this weekend. Injector or something else mechanical sounds = like it could be it. The car ran great and passed smog with flying = colors in August. Then sat for 3 months in storage. I'm wondering what = could have deteriorated or got stuck while sitting - regular mechanic is = also a smog test & repair station and has gone as far as he can without = starting to spend serious $$$.

Thanks again - will be posting for weeks I'm afraid til it gets fixed.

Bob

=3D=3D=3D

O2 sensor checked out fine. Will keep looking for the cause of problem = as I have time. I noticed a new problem that might be related? When = I turn the ignition to ON (but not cranking) there is a chattering = solenoid noise coming from between the center of the firewall and the = engine. Normally I can find noises by listening thru a tube as I move = it around, but this time can't find it. It's not the starter solenoid. = Any ideas where any other solenoids are near the top of the firewall = area?

Reply to
Guv Bob

It's a long shot but the Mitsubishi computers in Suzuki Sidekicks/Geo Trackers had problems with bad capacitors leaking and eating the PCB traces, Mitsubishi made the EFI system used by Suzuki. One of the symptoms was poor running and chattering relays followed by a completely dead computer, hence no-start. I would check them in yours if it has a Mitsubishi computer instead of Chrysler, which is likely since Chrysler didn't use MAF very often, they almost exclusively used a speed-density system on the cars.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Thanks Daniel. Will check the computer this weekend. Went thru all the = sensors, wiring, connectors, vacuum, fuel injectors and associated = circuits and all OK so far -- I did find the chattering - it was the = idle speed air valve stepper motor. Cleaned it and banged on it a few = times to loosing the crud and no more chatter and tested OK.

Will try to check what's left and if no luck, I'll be looking at a car = donation or something like that. Fairly new head & rebuilt trans - hate = to see it go for something I can't pinpoint.

Reply to
Guv Bob