"Beefier" power steering pump?

Anyone know where to find a higher capacity power steering pump? Aftermarket wheels/big tires on my '02 superduty sometimes stall the factory unit 'cuz of the backspacing on the wheels and the larger contact patch. Any way to give the steering hydraulics more "oomph"?

Thx

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

If you know what you're doing:

and you are careful. You can take a power steering pressure measurement at maximum turn to lock, that's to one side. Do it at both sides.

Remove the pump, and look in the service manual at the check valve, look carefully because you get only one or two chances to do this, and why do it twice.

Remove the check valve, and stretch the spring about an eighth or a quarter of an inch. That will increase the pressure by a few hundred pounds. If you get happy and stretch it to a half inch longer, look forward to replacing steering box seals and hoses a few times a week.

Make sure you get a good manual!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Just a suggestion. Try takin your foot off the brake next time it "stalls" the p/s. With offset wheels and such, the tire must turn when you steer. With the foot on the brake, it is very difficult for the wheel to turn.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I've run into that trying to back out of parking spaces etc.. The problem has been popping up when trying to make U-turns at lights recently too. Kinda wierd 'cuz it never did it (except for when moving VERY slowly or not at all) before I rotated tires a few weeks back.

I'll look into the check valve thing, but the folks at PPG Custom Trucks think they might have a solution for me. Gonna go visit them early next week.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego