Brakes and Shocks - 2000 F-150 V6

What is a typical replacement time for Tires, shocks and brakes on a F-150 V6 driven frequently around town and occasionally on highway trips? Truck is driven gently and not abused. Currently has 48K miles on it.

I'm thinking of budgeting for the next year on potential repairs and maintenance.

Thanks,

GR

Reply to
greinsch

Tires without obvious defects or wear are a judgement call. I have an aunt who buys a new set of Michelins every year sometimes with less than 5K miles on them because it makes her feel better to know she has good tires.

Shocks used on good roads with light loads and little abuse may do a suitable job well beyond 100K miles. Have them checked for leaks or damage when you have the truck serviced. Strictly miles is no longer a suitable criteria for shocks. I had an F150 that took out the left front shock several times with less than 5k miles on them. My current F150 has over 100K miles on a set of Gabriels which are not the best of shocks with no problem.

If you have 48K miles of around town driving on your brakes, you are probably on borrowed time on the front pads. I am not rough on brakes or clutches but, plan on braked between

35-45K of mostly highway miles. Have them checked soon!
Reply to
lugnut

Thanks for the heads up on the brakes. I will have them checked this week.

Reply to
GR

So far I have not had shocks last past about 30k. Years ago I had the shocks replaced that were so bad that I could take and compress and expand them by hand easily. No leaks. With the rear springs as stiff as they are, I have never been successful doing they bumper test. They always look good. Just couldn't tell how bad they are until they are replaced and feel the ride difference.

Reply to
Marlin Singer