could my f-150 4x4 7700 needd shocks at 38k?

my f-150 4x4 7700 came with load range 'D' tires. at 38k, the shocks feel dead/stiffer than when I bought the truck used at

24k miles. could they be worn already? 2 of my tires are 90% worn, the other pair 50% - previous owner didn't beleive in rotating I guess. I assume the front's wear more than the back? John
Reply to
John Cadella

Ford D-series 4 x 4 's are probably harder on front tires than any other vehicle

Reply to
TransSurgeon

The factory shocks are place holders for real shocks. They should be switched as soon as you get the truck home from the dealer.

Reply to
bomar

shit..that should read 'F-series'

damned arthritis

Reply to
TransSurgeon

I have never let OEM shocks go beyond about 30k. At 30k when I change them, even though I didn't think they were bad, it felt like a new truck.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

|my f-150 4x4 7700 came with load range 'D' tires. |at 38k, the shocks feel dead/stiffer than when I bought the truck used at |24k miles. |could they be worn already? |2 of my tires are 90% worn, the other pair 50% - previous owner didn't |beleive in rotating I guess. |I assume the front's wear more than the back?

New shocks are valved to make the truck ride well when all the bushings and joints are new and tight. Once all the parts get to know one-another better, those formerly snug joints and bushings are no longer make much contribution to the damping. The shocks are not valved for this set of conditions. Put them on a lighter truck and they might work. But you do need to get aftermarket shocks after the new has worn off.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

any suggestions on shocks that reasonably priced and can hold up to the demands of a Meyer plow and still have the family on comfort on long trips out of state. I probably will stick with the factory summer tread wrangler rt/s load range d tires. john

contribution to

Reply to
John Cadella

I've gone through a lot of shocks over the years, and I only like to change them once. I put Bilsteins on mine last time and I probably won't use anything else going forward. Of course, it takes $300 for a set.