Buying a Truck

I am planning on buying a Crewcab 4x4 and am thinking in the 70's or

80's I have only owned 60's and 70's Fords and would like to find a crewcab in good shape in the mid 70's range but don't know how much is availible.

Several Questions Pros and Cons for 70's vs 80's What year does fuel injection start? What is better for gas mileage Fuel injection or Carb? Motor options? (everything I have seen advertised is 460) What kind of mileage can I expect? I won't be towing much for distance or weight, but need to be able too. Any suggestions for finding a 70's crew cab in good condition.

Reply to
Ross Richardson

Ooooo, that doesn't sound good shouldn't it be more like 10mpg?

Has he jetted the edelbrocks for most power and left them at that? Did he go smaller and smaller until he noticed a too-lean problem then back up the the next richest jets?

Good questions, looking forward to the answers too. :)

Phoenix AZ! ;)

Alvin in SE AZ

Reply to
alvinj

State emission requirements for your local area? Here it is pre 74 to be exempt. Otherwise the drive train distinctions are almost non existent until you get to the fuel injection change.

1984 - 6 for the 302 1987 for the 351 1988 for the 460

Fuel injection is far superior to the carburetor.

300 Inline 6 302 V8 Windsor 351 V8 Windsor 351 M 335 360 V8 FE 400 M 335 390 V8 FE 460 V8 385 For most truck aplications the 460 is great!

Anywhere from 6 to 19 miles per gallon. Don't be fooled into thinking that the 300-6 or 302-8 will get the best mileage. My '88 460EFI gets 12mpg my 92 300EFI gets 10. My '82 Carb gets 16, my '86 302EFI gets 12.

Truck trader.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

Reply to
Ross Richardson

Reply to
Ross Richardson

I can deal with 12mpg Thanks for the advice I look forward to shopping Have a great day Ross

Reply to
Ross Richardson