C6 installation problem

I just rebuilt a C6 transmission for my 1986 E150 with 6cyl motor (junk, I know). Rebuild and installation seemed fine until I tried to bolt down the torque converter to the flywheel, I was unable to turn the engine to get to the other converter studs. After some experimentation, I found that if I unbolted the transmission some from the engine block, the engine could then turn over. I am fairly certain that the torque converter seated correctly in the oil pump. I would like to know if anyone has had this issue before in an install and what it turned out to be. Appreciate it, Eric

Reply to
Eric Johnson at Not A Toy!

STOP!!! The converter is not seated into the pump. If you tighten the trans to the motor it can (will) break the pump gear and\or damage the flex plate. Pull the trans back out. Check the pump gears and make sure the pump is assembled correctly. Inspect the flex plate for damage (runout). If you don't, and there is a problem, you will have to remove the trans again to repair it anyway. You'll be cranky then. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Ahhh, yes, the old trap. Eric... take note of what Tom has written. Inspect your stuff carefully as damage may have already been done. The Ford design leaves very little in the way of room for error and it is crucial to ensure that the converter snout is firmly and properly seated into the pump.

FWIW.... one common problem to the first time C-6 overhauler is installing the sprague backwards. If, once the trans is installed, there is no forward motion in drive, try manual first... if you get movement then, and everything else has been done right (including clutch pack clearance and band adjustment), there is a very real chance the sprague is installed backwards. This sprague is a low/reverse thing and will show no other symptoms aother than no motion if the drive position.... DAMHIKT!!!!

Reply to
Jim Warman

Tom is dead on. It might seem as if the converter/pump flanges are properly installed but your symptoms are an almost certain indicator alignment is amiss. I usually spin the converter several times just to make sure and many times you will find the converter suddenly jump into the bell housing as proper alignment occurs. I would, without question, remove everything from the vehicle, pull the converter off and inspect the pump drive flanges for damage. Then use a good flashlight and see if anything visually has occurred with the pump drive. Be certain to stick a screwdriver into the flanges and turn the pump by hand before going further. If it turns without anything "unusual" then you can proceed. However, if it is as much of a job to pull the trans as my C6 is in my truck I would remove the pump housing and visually inspect everything to make certain no permanent damage has been done. A little time here and a new pump gasket is the cheapest insurance you'll probably get at this point. Good luck!

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

Thanks everyone. I will yank it back out, pull the pump and inspect (have an extra if I did do damage) and reassemble with more care. Eric

Reply to
Eric Johnson at Not A Toy!

the 6 cyl is a good engine!

Reply to
Steve

Pulled tranny, inspected pump, reinsterted torque converter, reinstalled tranny, it all fits now.

Transmission is moving, but it is not moving very fast. There is the possibility that it is still low on fluid, so I am not worried aobut it quite yet. Had my hearer core blow up on the test drive though and I am calling it a day.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Johnson at Not A Toy!

Man!

Sounds like if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all... :-(

Reply to
351CJ

We named the van Jean Claude... as in Jean Clead Damnvan :)

Reply to
Eric Johnson at Not A Toy!