Does anyone have a Ford 300 6 cylinder?

The reason I ask is this: I used to get 20 mpg from my van. Or I thought I did. I never paid close attention to mileage, but I think I tested my mpg once, and I got 20 mpg. I recently had a new fuel pump put on. (in-the-tank fuel pump). The new fuel pump is calibrated for a 22 gallon fuel tank. My tank is a 37 gallon fuel tank. Production of the latter pump was discontinued, which is the reason I got the 22 gallon fuel pump. That's all fine and good. My fuel gauge doesn't operate the same now, but like I said, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that once the new fuel pump was installed, I am getting only 10 mpg. I have talked to a couple of different mechanics, and they all say that the different calibrated fuel pump wouldn't effect the mpg. The repair shop who replaced the pump says they don't believe I was getting 20 mpg. They say that 10 mpg is more realistic. Since I have never paid close attention to mpg until now, I really don't have a strong foundation to argue on. Does anyone in this group have a 300 ford engine? If so, what is your gas mileage? Again, mine is a 1993. Thanks. PD

Reply to
mezzodock

My 1977 F250 300 six carburated got 20mpg. I've never heard of one getting

10...if that was the case, everyone would have chosen the 460 V8 instead.
Reply to
Advocate

My two 300-I-6's, 1982 carbureted manual trans 4x4 pickup & 1992 manual trans 4x4 pickup electronic fuel injected, both got 12 MPG. It took me twice to learn my lesson, no more under powered gas hog 300-I-6's for me...

FYI:

1988 460 manual trans 4x4 pickup electronic fuel injected 12 MPG. 1982 carbureted manual trans 4x4 Bronco 302-V-8 16 MPG...
Reply to
My Names Nobody

1988 F-150 - I6, fuel injected, manual trans, 4WD - it gets around 15.
Reply to
scrape

A poorly tuned engine might get that bad mileage. I have a carbed '81 that has always gotten 17mpg.

The fuel pump may have been discontinued but that doesn't mean its not still available.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt
1983 F-150 2wd, it gets around 12-14 MPG with a 3 speed transmission.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

My dad has a 4.9 in his 95 F-150 4x2 with a 4R70W, and 3.55LS gear. He gets about 16 in rural mountain driving, and 19 or so on a trip.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I owned a 1992 F150 - 300 Six and E4OD Automatic. When the highway speed limit was 55 and I mostly drove 60, the fuel economy on the highway was around 19-20 mpg. Around town with lots of stop and go, it was 12-14 mpg. After the speed limit was raised to 65 and 70, and I mostly drove 70 to 75 on the highway and the highway mileage dropped to 15-16 mpg. The in town mileage was unaffected.

I doubt changing the fuel pump is the reason for your mileage decrease. I would check for leaks juust to be sure. Otherwise, you probably need to record your fuel economy over a period of a month or so and compute an overall average. Even very carefully calculated single tank averages can include large errors do to the difficulty of filling the tank exactly the same. Doing the average over multiple tanks will reduce this error.

I no longer have my F150, but I miss the motor. It was a strong puller, and ran really smooth.

Reply to
C. E. White
78 300cid. 4 X 4..4 sp......15 MPG
Reply to
Gene
88 F-150 300 I-6 EFI with 3 speed (and granny low). Original engine got 17 mpg. I just put a new short block in, intake, valve job and get 13...go figure. But when I need some torque, I got it..no problem

Reply to
Just me

Yep, if you want to pull stumps, not a problem. On the other hand, if you want to pass at highway speeds, forget about it...

Reply to
My Names Nobody