Drivetrain Noise '78 F350

Any suggestions on how to diagnose drivetrain noise? I checked the U-joints and they are not obviously worn or loose. Can stiff U-joints cause noise? I'm getting a loud whine only when accelerating--it goes away if I take my foot off the gas. This is a 1978 F350 Crew Cab with an 8' bed and about

95000 miles on it. It sounds like the noise is coming from under the cab as opposed to back by the rear axle. It has a two-piece axle with a carrier bearing in the middle. I jacked up the rear, put it in N and wiggled and turned stuff and didn't find anything obvious. It's an automatic 3-speed transmission (C6, I believe?).

I can't afford to spend any money on unneeded parts right now so any help would be much appreciated. If it is a differential bearing could the noise still sound like it's coming from the middle of the truck? If I remove the driveshaft should I expect to hear anything indicating a bad differential bearing by turning the wheels or whatever?

Reply to
Ulysses

Do you get any vibration associated with the whine? If not, I would check the rear pinon bearing, pinon gear and/or ring gear...

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

differential

No noticeable vibration, just noise. I did a troubleshooting routine a while back and it pointed to the pinion bearings. I guess I was hoping it might be something else because I've never worked on a differential and Hayne's tells me I shouldn't mess with it. Besides that U-joints cost a lot less than differential work (at least if I have to pay somebody to do it).

Maybe now would be a good time to try to find a used limited slip rear end...

Reply to
Ulysses