drop in bedliner

I had an 86 F150 and ran it until it died(i think 300k miles) and got myself a 98 F-150. I had a drop in bedliner in the 86 but it doent fit in the 98. while shopping for a new one is there anything I should look at? I'd prefer a one piece plastic drop in, as they are leak proof and the old trucks bed showed no additional dammage, except from rust through from the bottom (ant little at that!)

I see mats and spray ins and such, but i dont like those. the old drop in is 4 inches too wide. I could cut, overlap and then glue, but I am hoping for better.

Reply to
Tater

Personally, and I know this is not what you're asking, but I think drop ins are far from leak proof. I also find them slick as hell when wet, and unless you drill holes in them - killing the "leak proof" bit, they're really annoying after it rains - especially followed by a freeze.

I'm one of the ones sold big time on Line-X. I've had mine for over 5 years and I guarantee you that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I told you I had it done this past weekend. I haul motorcyles, gear, etc. several days/week. Completely impervious to the obvious spills and tons of traction, etc.

Reply to
scrape

Water gets trapped under those bed liners and leads to rust.

I have no idea of the costs, but have you considered a spray-on liner. They work very well if applied properly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I agree, I'd far rather have a spray-on liner combined with an anti- skid bed mat. In fact I have been considering removing the drop-in from my F-150 and getting it sprayed, although rust is less of a concern now that I have a cap installed.

nate

Reply to
N8N

The spray in liner is far more anti-skid than the bed mats. Save your money on the mat.

Reply to
scrape

I got sucked in on Line-X too. Poorly applied and too thin in places. We were able to take a chunk out of it no sweat. There are a couple of bubbles where it don't stick to the paint underneath. Probably would have stuck if they had prepared the surface first and cleaned it well but they don't. The just apply and -- Next customer. Slick as anything when wet. Can't imagine anything slicker. Just about wore a generator for earings the other day when I had to stand on the brakes. The worst part is that the fly-by-night Line-X Dealer has now blown town and you couldn't get a repair if your life depended on it. What ever will I do if I have accident damage and need it repaired, move to Calgary?

You will get more rust through under your box from a leaking exhaust system than you ever will from a slide-in.

Ever try to sell a used spray-on liner? Just a thought.

Most of the contractors I see use a slide-in and they abuse it far more than you or I can.

Reply to
Gordie

Undoubtedly. They're cheaper. They abuse the shit out of their trucks too. I intend to keep mine at least as long as I kept my '88 F-150.

Well, they're all independants. I wouldn't hesitate to contact the home office. Yours sounds like they did an incredibly shitty job. Mine is 180 degrees opposite. As is every other one I've ever seen. Which is why I went with them in the first place.

The dealer here has been here for many years. I'd suspect you can find a better one.

A drop in liner is ridiculously more slippery if the spray in is done properly.

And why would I want to sell it?

Reply to
scrape

Small town. Not many players. Trade the truck, sell the liner separately. You really had to ask?

Don't know the job is shitty until it is done. Ever see the mess they make of touching up after body-work?

Reply to
Gordie

Hmmm. The value added by a spray in liner is a good bit more than you could get for your used drop in. I guess that never occured to you.

Nope. Never had shitty body work done either. I usually check around a bit before I pay someone to work on my vehicles. Might want to consider that option.

Again, if I go out an pressure wash mine in the morning, there's not a chance you could tell it wasn't brand new.

And don't misunderstand that I don't believe yours was done poorly.

Reply to
scrape