D'oh! Car started, ran, then died

I haven't had the bug out on the road for about two months now. It's been sitting b/c I'm trying to sell it. So my brother calls me and says he's thinking about buying it. Well, this means I need to run a tune up, and drive it around to lubricate everything.

Anyway, after cleaning off the wheels, cleaning a mouse nest out of the engine bay (???!) and checking out everything in general, I started her.

She fired up on the first crank and ran smooth, no smoke or anything. I was letting her warm up for about 45 seconds at a fast idle, then I gently reved it a few times. On about the third gentle rev, suddenly the engine just completey died. I simply cannot get it to start again.

I have spark. The wires, coils and ignition is OK.

However, I can't seem to get any fuel at the carb. I took the aircleaner off and peered inside while pulling the throttle lever -- the usual accelerator pump spray is not there, just a sucking/gurgling sound.

No it's not out of gas! It's half full, and I even shoved a long stick down the filler tube to verify. I even poured an extra gallon on top of that.

I don't think the float is stuck or something, b/c why would it have run in the first place? I'm guessing the fuel line is clogged or the filter is clogged (>_

Reply to
Anthony

The carb has enough fuel in the bowl to run for ~30 seconds or so.

The line could be clogged- try blowing thru it; you should be able to. The pump could be bad, or just dried out. I'd try the line first.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

If you can't blow it through, and it ís a dirty fuel line, take of the air cleaner, close the top of the carb with your hand and crank the engine. This way it will suck the fuel by all 4 cillinders and probably de-clogg your fuel line. If you are alone you can use a spraycan cap to close the carb.

Worked for me

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Hmmm...before I can do something like that with the fuel line I think I need to remove the in-line filter that I installed down under the car by he tranny. I HATE messing with that filter. Replacing/removing it is such a PITA! Or should I be able to blow through the filter? Actually, I haven't been able to get a good look at the filter yet, IT may be really clogged.

Reply to
Anthony

Should be able to blow thru. Give a try. A bicycle pump works too. Forget what car this is, but there may be a mesh filter screen inside the fuel tank, where the fuel line exits on bottom.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I pulled off the inlet and tried to blow. No dice. Tried to suck. No dice.

So I did as bug '59 suggested and removed the air cleaner, and blocked off the carb. I cranked the engine for a couple of seconds, and Lo and Behold! Fuel!

Anyway, I tied everything back up and she's fine now.

Thanks guys! I wish I didn't have to sell her =( If I don't, she'll sit out in the elements never being driven and rot away.

I'd rather someone drives her than nobody.

Reply to
Anthony