E150 5.8L 1994 still rough after $800.00 in repairs

I have a 1994 E150 with 121,000 miles on 5.8L. Transmission replaced at

85,000 with factory rebuilt.

Idle has very slight roughness, hardly noticeable, then it miss fires hard two or three times. Then a another minute or two of comparatively smooth idle.

While going 60 mph it runs good and then it cuts out, causes a lurch.

New parts and work done at pretty decent shop. plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap, coil, fuel filter & ignition module injectors cleaned at diesel shop fuel pressure checked ok and steady after injectors cleaned

Runs better but the hard miss/stumble is still there.

Any ideas out there would help

Thanks David

Reply to
DO

I went back to shop and the mechanic and owner both sat in the van and heard/felt it "drop a cylinder" and shudder.

Mechanic did not know what to say. The owner said let me get you some of this gumout fuel additive to clean out any carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. He said the valves rotate a little each time they open. With a lot of carbon buildup on a valve, it may get to a point in its revolution where it chokes off the intake flow to a cylinder.

Worth a try. If I had lots of money I would just take to the dealership. Hey, maybe later.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks David

Reply to
DO

how about you demand your 800 bucks back and THEN go to the dealer ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

No kidding...

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I think it depends on what the real problem is. It is running better than it was.

So what is left?

It passed inspection yesterday, including the emissions test with ease. I have an old boat that weighs about 2500lbs. I worry that all that cutting out of power will damage the drivetrain, again. Just riding around town before taking it in was bad enough. My wife had been driving it for two months and I could not believe it when I drove it, really bad.

Reply to
DO

Okay, it still missing. Seems to have some hesitency followed by surging during moderate acceleration. Could it be the EGR? What about the map sensor? Even a PCV ? Fuel regulator? I have to start throwing money at it. Any help would be great.

Thanks David

Reply to
DO

Reply to
scott and barb" .

I had similar happen on a jeep V8 after a major tune-up. Turned out that one of the brand-new plugs was bad. It looked good when you pulled it and looked at it, but it would quit firing intermittently then slowly degraded to the point where it finally lit off the CEL with a cylinder misfire code. It was about to drive me up the wall because I just knew it couldn't be the plugs because they were brand new. Oh well, live and learn.

Even if the CEL isn't on, get the shop to check for error codes that haven't reached the threshold for CEL activation, it may help get you closer to where the problem is occuring.

Good luck!

Razor (CEL - Check engine light)

Reply to
Razorblade

I wish, but the shop owner told me they tried a whole new set because as he put it, "there may be a cracked insulator that we just can't see". I notice the PCV was rattling very fast, so am going to replace it. Also, more cause I was taught to do it, I am going to get a new condenser to go with the rest of the new electronics. And I just put new air filters in as they were kind of dirty. If none of this helps, I am going to take it Jack Roach Ford in Houston. First time to use this shop, I guess I'll just have take my chances.

Reply to
DO

Dealer should get it fixed - may cost you an arm and a leg though.

Razor

Reply to
Razorblade