EEC-IV code

----------hi.... I have got fault code on my car. 1992 E150 302 EFI V8 . The codes are 172,327 and 328. Can anyone please help? It seems for me after reading the codes that it could be something with the oxygen sensor or EGR valve. Hope not to have to change both. Anyone have any experience with these codes? Regards, Tor Elling.

Reply to
teknisk

The 172 is a lean condition. 327 and 328 indicate low flow and low signal on EGR. I would be looking for a vacuum leak or damage vacuum tube, bad connection etc which would explain all 3 before I did anything else. Has there been any recent repair or maintenance work?

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Hi again... Yes,,,, I have done some rutine maintenence. The thing I did before this codes came where that I cleaned and used contackt cleaner on the contact to the map sensor and to the Oxygen sensor. The sensors may have been unplugged and plugged on again under engine running if that is something not to do? I am quite sure that there is no vakum leak. Have to look over the connections again. I have now for just maintenence changed the map sensor and trottle position sensor and gasket for trottle body after the codes came. That changes nothing. Same codes before and after. Could it be that I some how can have damaged the Oxygen sensor? Can't see that there is something I have done that should cause this. I will check everything all over again and see if there is anything I have done wrong. This codes came seldom in the beginning, and now more and more often. Now the codes seem to came everytime when the engine get his normal hot temprature. Regards, Tor Elling.

"lugnut" snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
teknisk

That vintage 5.0L V8 occasionally developed a leak between the upper and lower intake manifolds which would result in the lean codes and sometimes a high slightly unsteady idle. One problem area for external vacuum lines is around the back of the intake manifold going to the vacuum canister which is a reservoir for the HVAC and the EGR system. If you have had the vacuum connection off of the vacuum reservior, make sure you check it for proper connection. It can be connected wrong causing at least some of your problems. This condition is not visually obvious because of the way Ford made it. You can sometimes find the intake leak by spraying around the joint between them with carburetor cleaner or WD40 or a similar combustible spray with the engine running. When you hit the leak area, the engine idle will change. I do not recommend using anything like starting fluid or ether as it can both damage the engine when it is drawn in and ignite causing you serious burns.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Hi again.... I had an upper intake manifoil gasket, and changed that. Now after driving a little trip the code seem to be away. I thought about that could be the cause too, but I didn't have high idle and thought it cdoudn't be that. I have had several vans with 302 V8, and am very aware of the upper intake manifoil gasket and changed that gasket in all my vans before. The older vans (With 2 digits code) have never set a code when gasket is blown. Just idling high an rough some times. When I changed the gasket now one little small bit of the old gasket fell down and in to the lower intake manifoil. I just had to leave it there and mount everything back together. Is that any problem or will it just melt and blow out with the excoust? The van run seems to run great for me now, so I think I just leave everything as it is now for a while. Regards, Tor Elling.