F-150 1997-2003 OEM wheel interchange

I'm thinking of trying to pick up a set of second hand wheels for my 97 F-150. As I understand it, 12mm studs were standard for 97-99, then for

2000-03 they went to 14mm studs. Are OEM wheels interchangeable between the two stud sizes, IE could I use 03 wheels on my 97?
Reply to
Ernest Scribbler

No, the wheels will never tighten properly, the ball seats on the lug nuts are different size and angle. Your lug nuts will bottom out against the rotor or axle flange before clamping the wheel on steel wheels, on the aluminum ones the ball seat of the nut will not properly mate to the corresponding seat on the wheel, in a short time the seat will tear up on the wheel and you'll have a lose wheel condition.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Not true, the wheels are hub centric, not lug centric. The lugnuts are not acorn style, but flat bottomed. Yes you can interchange. It has been done many times safely.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

"Marlin Singer" wrote

I tend to think your response is probably more correct than the previous one, in part because the original wheels that Ford put on my 12mm studs have

14mm holes in them and the nuts are flat as you say. Like this:
Ernest Scribbler