F150 Dashboard Brake light won't go out

1991 F150 brake light on dashboard will not go out. Gets dim, but won't go out. Need for it to function properly to pass state inspection. How do I fix this?
Reply to
Katrina

Did you check the bake fluid level?

Is the parking brake switch operating properly?

If the fluid level is OK and the parking brake switch is OK, the next most likely problem that is cheap to fix, is the rear differential speed sensor. These are easy to replace and cost around $20.

You could take your vehicle to a dealer and ask them to read the ABS codes. This requires specialized equipment, but this would keep you from guessing and wasting money on parts you don't need.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Only requires a jumper wire on a 91

Reply to
aarcuda69062

For the ABS?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

See

. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yes.

From the above site;

"On Ford and Dodge trucks, fault codes can be accessed manually by grounding the diagnostic pigtail connector on the ABS control module."

IOWs, a jumper wire.

FWIW, in 1991, Ford didn't even have scan tool capability in their engine controllers, much less their ABS controllers.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I realized that after my "for the ABS" post and that is why I posted the link.

So what was the STAR II if not a scan tool?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:41:35 -0500, C. E. White rearranged some electrons to say:

A glorified light bulb.

Reply to
david

A jumper wire with a push button.

aarcuda69062

I see you never owned one. I did. It pulls codes jsut like my generic OBD-II scanner. It also prompted you to take some action (press throttle, move steering wheel, hit brakes) that you can't handle with a jumper wire and a push button. Compared to the OBD-II testers, the number of fault codes was limited (100's of codes - not much of a limit really), but I don't see that the difference is as great as you are indicating. What can you do with a generic OBD-II tester you couldn't do with a Star II Tester?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Nope, the dealership provided it.

Pulling codes does not make it a scan tool.

Called a "self test", KOEO and KOER and yes, you can do a self test with just a jumper wire if you know the prompts.

That's a function of the EEC system, not the tool.

You're kidding, right? First off, I don't own any "generic" scan tools, although some of them do have generic capability. What can I do with a real scan tool? Well, on some pre-OBD2 vehicles, I can control certain output functions with the scan tool (bi-directional control), I can read serial data (sensor outputs) in real time, I can read stepper motor counts (position) in real time, I can read calculated ignition timing, I can read ignition timing retard, I can read injector on time, I can read switch status, I can read cruise control functions, I can energize transmission solenoids, I can energize air pump solenoids, I can record movies of the data stream, I can graph the data stream... That's just on pre 1996 vehicles with much more limited capabilities than post 1996 vehicles.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Get yourself a 2008!

Reply to