F150 Gas filter...

Just a quick question -

What is the diameter (size) of the fuel line? This will be my 2nd trip to the store and I want to make sure I get the right tool for removal of the "quick" type connectors they have on there. The one I got when I was there is a '4 in one' size that looks like a pair of scissors and says it fits most Ford fuel and A/C lines....Apparently, my '99 F-150 isn't a "most Ford" This will be the 3rd attempt at changing this freakin' thing - The first was being under there and finding I need a special tool, the second finding out that said special tool is wrong dang tool....3rd times a charm I hope!...(sorry - just ticked off as this isn't rocket science, ya know?!? What ever happened to damn spring clips and a pair of pliers? ) :)

Scott

Reply to
IYM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:12:37 -0400, IYM rearranged some electrons to form:

Get the package of 4 different sized tools. That way you'll have the right ones for other types of lines if you need them.

Reply to
David M

Another example of the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence or other Auto Technician representative groups having influence with the automobile manufacturers. They no longer want ANY components of your vehicle to be "owner-serviceable" so you are forced to go pay someone $70.00 per hour to do what you are perfectly capable of if you just had the right damn tool. That is why all the connectors are specialty connectors and change every couple of years. That is why I got rid of my late model 4x4 and went and got a 1974 F100 Custom and a 1983 F100 XLT. I can work on 'em myself and save a hell of alot of money.

Razor

Reply to
Razorblade

Just so you know,........

......it isn't easy to do even with the correct tool. You will have to "waller it around a bit".

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

It's all ASE's fault, eh?

Damn, I guess I missed that questionnaire.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I just bought that tool for my 99 F150 (XLT 4.6 SC SB 4X4). It has two ends, one with 5/16" I.D. and one with 3/8" I.D. I am almost positive it was the 5/16 end that I used. I just looked at it and I think there are some small scratches on that end. The tool was around $5 or so and the filter is cheap.

It should take about 8 minutes the first time you change the filter and about 4 minutes the next time after you know what you are doing. Just have a couple rags handy to catch the small amount of gas that comes out when you pop the hoses off.

Stephen

IYM wrote:

Reply to
Stephen

Just replaced mine, on a '96 5.8. What a difference it made

Reply to
Dave Lee

Maybe not ASE specifically but there is some sort of back-scratching going on in the industry. The days of a good shade tree mechanic being able to work on vehicles are numbered with the way things are progressing. Of course this is just my opinion and I know what that is worth these days.

Reply to
Razorblade

Thanks - That's the info I needed...

The wrong tool I have looks like a pair of scissors with 1 size at each end, then if you flip/spin the scissors the other way you get 2 more sizes. I'm at work now and don't know how small the small size is since I left it home, but it was still "just" to big. I have a feeling the small size on that was

3/8", which means the 5/16 should be the right one (which naturally wasn't on the tool)

I've changed a ton of fuel filters in my life, so I know it will only take me a few minutes to do once I get the NASA designed quick connects off. Actually, what's sad is that my truck has 90K on it and never had maintenance done at the dealer, but I once had (at about 50K) the oil & gas filter changed at an quick change place (no - not Jiffy lube!) mostly because of the dead of winter and the fact that I didn't want to lay on my back at 10 degrees F, but anyway - When I get under there the other day, the gas filter is covered in a nice coat of light rust with the Ford logo on it. Now, what do you think the chances are that place used genuine Ford parts? Nada...Which means that I paid for something that I didn't get, & I have a truck with 90K on the gas filter. Gee, do you think it needs changing??? :) I went there once due to desperation, but it just proves you get what you pay for....

Thanks again,

Scott

Reply to
IYM

I've heard the advice given that you should ask for your old parts back on repairs but not usually for a cheapie part like an oil or gas filter.

The tool I have is also the scissor type with the two sizes I mentioned. If I was stuck without the tool, I'd probably just split a piece of

5/16 tube if I had some around but they are easy to get and about the price of a p> Thanks - That's the info I needed...
Reply to
Stephen

Mine had problems too. Couldn't get it off no matter how hard I tried. Funny thing was i changed the filter 2 years ago. This time it didn't come off. Tried everything under the sun. Had to take it to Ford who found the clips inside had gone bad. Talked to the tech that did the work and he said they had to gouge them out and then replace the clips inside with new ones. Took about 2 hours and wasn't that much. Glad I took it to them.

Reply to
Charles

Well - just FYI to everyone - Thanks for the help! Changed it last night in 5 minutes after getting the right tool and realizing that you actually more or less slide the fitting onto the tool rather than pushing the tool into the fitting to release the clips. $5 tool worked decent....After sitting and thinking a bit about what I said in a previous post about making something over complicated like these fittings rather than the old spring clips, was that noting where the filter is located that when off roading I guess debris (branch/stick or the sort) could get caught and yank the fuel line off the old way, and this most definitely has better retention against that sort of thing. Never occurred to me as I don't off road...

Oh well - I guess a reason for everything...

Scott

Reply to
IYM

Glad you got it off finally, those "quick connects" are made strictly for fast assembly at the factory and that is it. They are on ac lines, coolant lines, ps lines, trans lines, etc. Believe me, I've been a Ford tech for

Reply to
Jim Welfley