Advice ?? 96 Ranger 2.3L hesitates from off idle

1996 Ranger 2.3L, 5 speed regular cab shortbed. recent (less than 5K miles) New double platinum plugs, new spark plug wires, air cleaner, PVC valve, oil change, oil filter. It ran just fine after the "tune up" for about 3K miles, then one day suddenly, it started this hesitation. Right now it has 120K+ miles. When first started, it starts fine and idles fine, But when I get it in reverse to back out of the garage it "hesitates and then revs up enough to back up. Same thing going forward and between gears. It gets less hesitant after it warms up. after about ten miles when I get off the Interstate and make my first stop, it ALMOST seems normal, only a very slight hesitation. Checked throttle position sensor with an analog ohm meter and slowly moved throttle through complete range. Ohm meter showed a nice steady movement, with initial reading of 1000 ohms at closed throttle and a 4000 ohms at WOT.

It kind of reminds me of the old carburated engines that had the squirter go bad in the carb.

Sorry about being so long with the explanation, but I tried giving the best explanation I could.

This is a great group and I've seen many good repair questions answered ..... soooooo I'm hoping you Guys and Gals can help me figure this problem out.

Thanks!

Reply to
Eagle Creek

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:45:20 -0500, Eagle Creek rearranged some electrons to form:

Fuel filter maybe? Just a thought.

Reply to
David M

cleaner,

doing this , I also changed the fuel filter. I know someone in this group will come up with an answer.... Thanks again

Reply to
Eagle Creek

If my memory serves me well, in my '87 2.3L in was the exhaust gas oxygen sensor. TomC

Eagle Creek snipped-for-privacy@46341.invalid wrote in article snipped-for-privacy@netnitco.net...

Reply to
TomC