ford e4od

Hey Guys, i have a 1990 forf f-150 with the e4od tranny. I have a 331 stroker im putting in the truck and i want to go to a carb and discard the EFI . do i have to do anything special with the tranny???????????

Reply to
tim C via CarKB.com

Yes, you are going to need a controller form someone like Baumann Brothers or Level 10 or one of the others to operate your trans. But, WTH would you want to ditch the EFI when it will probably out perform a carb and get better fuel economy at the same time even if it needs a bit of tweaking? There are chip burners out there that can customize an ECM for your setup for not much more that you are going to pay for a carb and manifold unless you are doing a salvage yard build in the first place. It is time to join the modern world of technology and make it work for you. BTW, you may find it more cost effective if you are going for cost or full performance with the carb rig to simply drop in a C6 trans if fuel economy is of no concern. Installing a controller for the E4OD will bring it's own set of problems getting it to work correctly with a carb setup. Keep in mind that a 331 stroker in a heavy vehicle like the F150 is no big deal and will probably do little better than a stock EFI 5.8L especially if you use your truck as a truck.

BTDT Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

..

I don't recall seeing any chip burners for pre 95 Ford Trucks

But other then that I agree. The stock EFI will out proform a stock carb

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Sorry I may not have been clear on the "chip burner". I am referring to one of the companies that would burn an add-on chip to your specs as opposed to the hardware that will actually change the onboard ECM used nowadays. They may no longer exist. The last time I used this service was in the

90's when we were tinkering with a blown Bronco. Boy ,was that a money pit - the EFI 460 works a lot better with reliability.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

yeah

pray a lot, because without the engine sensor inputs, you're screwed

Reply to
TranSurgeon