4R70W Whining / Turbine sound

The transmission on my 2000 f150 4.2 seems to have a heavy whining or turbine sound when I'm on the gas and the rpms are up a bit - hot or cold. When lightly and quietly cruising around 35 mph then pulling the transmission into 2nd gear (testing)- it whines pretty darn loud so it seems to be high rpm related as well as torque. I think it's always had a bit of a whine but this seems quite noticeable now. Apparently the torque converter was replaced by the dealer before I bought the truck. Mercon 5 fluid changed about 4 months ago and is in good shape and correct level. The whining changes tone with rpm and the tone goes up and down with rpms and gear changes. When rpms are around 2000 or less with light gas it's fine in any gear, it seems to be most noticeable when there is torque required like merging into traffic from a stop. Shifting is fine except if you're really on it and it jumps down into first, then when you let off the gas a bit, it takes forever to shift up. Do others with the 4R70W notice a loud whine at times or have I got transmission troubles coming? Should I try an additive? Should I take it in for the dreaded transmission check $$ or does this seem fairly close to normal?

Thanks for any advice !!!

Reply to
JimBobRay

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:55:57 -0400, JimBobRay rearranged some electrons to form:

Sounds like a transmission rebuild to me. Gary G. should answer this one, he seems to be pretty knowlegeable on transmissions.

Reply to
David M

Reply to
Turfinator

Forgot to mention in the original post, it started sounding louder after I did a computer reset with the battery disconnected for an hour or so, was cleaning the battery posts and ended up helping a neighbour move some stuff. Would the computer reset make a difference? All monitors are up and running again and the computer shows no codes.

Reply to
JimBobRay

. git thee to a tranny shop.....

marshmonster tranny tech === ===

In the most respected NG on the net...... alt.trucks.ford ..... On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 3:55pm (CDT+1) snipped-for-privacy@trucks.com (JimBobRay) quized the room with this pop-test......

The transmission on my 2000 f150 4.2 seems to have a heavy whining or turbine sound when I'm on the gas and the rpms are up a bit - hot or cold.

Do others with the 4R70W notice a loud whine at times or have I got transmission troubles coming?

Should I try an additive?

Should I take it in for the dreaded transmission check $$??

or does this seem fairly close to normal?

Thanks for any advice !!!

==== ====

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Does this sound like a torque converter or transmission problem? Have you heard this B4? What causes it? Thanks much for any enlightenment.

Reply to
JimBobRay
.

Re: 4R70W Whining / Turbine sound Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Tue, Oct 14, 2003, 1:47pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@trucks.com (JimBobRay)

git thee to a tranny shop.....

quest. 1.... Does this sound like a torque converter or transmission problem?

quest. 2.... Have you heard this B4?

quest. 3.... What causes it?

Thanks much for any enlightenment. === ===

answers to yer questions.....

1.... sounds like it could be either.

2.... yes.....

3..... parts failure

yer welcome

marsh monster ~:~thinks it could be something else too... but he didn't ask that....now did he?~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Just a thought from someone who doesn't know any better....Did the tranny orig spec Mercon V? I think I remember you saying that it had recently been serviced with M V. I think I read somewhere, maybe in my MH owners manual, that Mercon V wasn't backward compatible with earlier versions. Ron

Reply to
Ron(Fla)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:07:50 +0000, Turfinator rearranged some electrons to form:

Ummm... 4R70W is an automatic, I would be surprised to find a clutch slave cylinder in it.

Reply to
David M