Gear selector

I posted this last week in the Explorer group but didn't get any help there so I figured I'd try here since you guys were pretty helpful when I had a question on my F150:

I'm sure this has been covered here but Google's new format didn't net me the results I was looking for. I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD that now has a gear selector/indicator that is off by one place, IE when in park it says reverse, in reverse it shows nuetral etc. Nothing led to this but occasionally over the last month when changing gears I would hear a clicking as if two small plastic gears weren't spinning freely together. Is this typical, are there a number of problems that can lead to this and most importantly, if I were to bring this to the dealer to fix how much time should I expect to be billed for? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio