Having a problem with my 92 F150 oil pan gasket

I changed the gasket myself and it started leaking after a week. I payed a mechanic to do it again and it lasted a few months. Now its leaking again and I noticed it looks like the gasket is pushed out in some areas? I have never seen a gasket push out like this before. The mechanic did use gasket sealer on the gasket when he installed it the second time. The PVC valve was changed before this happed so I don't think that's the problem. The truck is a 92 with only 65K on it and it runs great and has the I-6 4.9L engine. Does anybody have any idea of why this would happen? I hate to change it another time if it's going to do to the same thing again and blow out. The gasket I have been using is the feel-pro blue gasket. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Glimmer-pins

Take a look at the whole PCV system, also can you see if there's any sludge in the head? plugged oil drainback holes might cause crankcase pressure to build up.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

only way to make the repair successful is :

  1. NO gasket sealer
  2. perfectly clean and dry surfaces (lots and lots of brake cleaner and compressed air)
  3. use only a gasket from the ford parts counter.

in your particular case, i'd say the aftermarket gasket (first time) and sealer (second time) were the downfalls.

Reply to
Steve Barker

If it is the silicon gasket, it is likely either/or both a result of over tightening and a less than clean surface. Newer silicon gaskets have a metal inset and are very expensive but, work well. Over the year, the 4.9L has used both cork and paper based gasket. Both worked well. If it is available, the metal reinforced silicon is probably the best installed on a clean surface. Make sure the pan flange is flat. Although it is not common for the 4.9L to have a PVC problem, you should make sure the crankcase ventilation system is working properly. You might also want to check the hoses and tubes to make sure they are completely open as they sometimes clog with carbon and sludge over the years causing crankcase pressure under loaded engine operating conditions.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut