sealing a trans pan

Have a recurring trans pan leak at the rear. Fixed it 5 years ago when filter was changed with a new pan gasket, no sealer, and its leaking again now. I guess it is leaking in that spot because the pan is a bit warped. Not a big problem since it is time to maintain it anyway now, but should I forgo the gasket and RTV all around it? Or apply RTV in the area of the leak only? Is Ultrablack RTV appropriate to seal transmission fluid?

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

My preference is Permatex "The Right Stuff" sealant. A good bit more expensive than plain RTV, but well worth it.

Reply to
Steve

RTV always pushes out for me so I prefer a dry gasket and use gasket cement to hold it in place. As far as the leak itself goes, better check the pan too as they can get pin holes at the radius and look like a gasket leak.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I'd say 5 years is pretty good for a trans pan gasket. It's about time you changed it. How many miles have you put on it? What's the make, model and year? I have been using cork gaskets for a long time and have been looking for a rubber coated cork gasket to no avail. I just recently found pressed paper gaskets at

They shipped it within two days and everything looked perfect. Cheap too. I wouldn't put RTV on it. I never have, though if you really felt the need, you should probably use black. There is spray tack that is used to "stick" the gasket in place. It's really helpful if you're using a cork gasket that doesn't want to stay flat. Make sure you pound the pan flat when you take it off next.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Really? Well, I don't feel so bad then. :) It's still a pain since it is in addition to the other problems I'm having at the moment, but not so much a pain since I had to pop an axle with a torn boot out anyway. Nothing better than getting axle grease all over your arms while you're laying in transmission fluid...

About 30k since last filter change, 15k since fluid (as part of an axle job).

90 Geo Storm. Which I just got finished breaking the oil pump off on a timing belt replacement. Stop laughing!

The gasket that came with the filter change kit is weird. It is a paper gasket but acts like a rubber valve cover gasket in how it will twist itself up automatically if you leave it laying somewhere. The link you sent appears to only sell 5 different pan gaskets (I put 'pan gasket' in the search) and mine is not included (Isuzu KF400 3-speed).

I'll definitely try to make sure the pan is flat when I have it off. It appears that the bottom of the pan rusted out at some point in the past and was repaired with some sort of putty. That area has never leaked since I've owned it but it doesn't look especially solid...

Reply to
Ryan Underwood