Help me decide on which gauges for my F-550 PSD

I have been looking at recommendations for which gauges are the most needed while towing a trailer. I am towing a 17,000# fifth wheel with my 2000 F-550 PSD 4.88 rear. The rear differential has full synthetic (I understand this bumps up the F-550 GCWR to 30,000#).

These are the gauges that I think I need:

- Pyro (turbo temp)

- Engine oil temp

- Auto transmission oil temp

- Read differential oil temp

The gauge mounts that appeal to me hold three gauges at the most. I would appreciate help in rating the above in order of importance.

Also, can any of you recommend an electronic unit that would combine the above gauges on a single display? Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Reply to
Charles Kerekes
  1. EGT
  2. Tranny temp
  3. Boost

Reply to
bomar

Forgot to add...xmonitor does all three in a single digital unit w/o the pillar pod. Go to

and search the forums for good diesel advice. It's free and very informative.

Reply to
bomar

# 1. Pyro 2. Trans temp 3. Rear end temp If you can find a place for another go for the engine temp. If you are keeping it stock than the boost gauge would be just a toy.

Reply to
JSMMV

I have a custom hauler built on a 2001 F-550 PSD truck (crew cab, 4x2,

176.2 inch wheelbase). I was concerned about the actual GCWR of the truck and contacted Ford customer relations center by telephone. After giving them the truck's VIN, Ford confirmed that it was built with their heavy duty tow package. That package includes synthetic oil in the rear axle/differential. At my request, they provided a written certification of the entire build specification listing.

According to Ford, with the heavy duty tow package, the 2001 truck GVWR is

17,500 pounds, the maximum loaded trailer weight is 21,600 pounds, and the GCWR is 30,000 pounds.

With the hauler deck, two adults, baggage, tools and a full tank of diesel oil, my truck weighs in at just under 9,000 pounds.

Regards, John Kinney

Reply to
John Kinney

John or Charles, Just curious - do either of you know what the GCWR for your trucks would have been without the synthetic oil in the rear axle/differential?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

The synthetic oil is just part of the heavy duty tow package. Other elements include radiator changes and an alternator change for gasoline engines. Without the tow package, the truck's GCWR would have been 26,000 pounds with a maximum trailer weight of 17,600 pounds. The truck's GVWR would remain the same.

Regards, John Kinney

Reply to
John Kinney

Thanks, John.

Reply to
Greg Surratt

Greg,

The GCWR of the 2000 to 2004 F-450 and F-550 without the heavy duty tow package is 26,000#. (Other model years may have the same rating, but these are the only ones I checked.)

Charlie

Reply to
Charles Kerekes