Can't find water separator drain valve on my 2000 F-550 7.3L PSD

I recently got a 2000 F-550 and started doing some maintenance. The other night I wanted to drain the water/fuel separator, but I could not find the drain valve. There are a couple of vague drawings in the manuals of where it is supposed to be, but for the life of me I could not find it.

From the diagrams it looks like it should be just to the left of the lowest wheel in front of the engine. Can someone give me better instructions of where exactly it is? Is it accessible from the top or bottom? Any pictures of this on the Internet?

Charlie

Reply to
Charles Kerekes

Assume you had the 7.3 PSD since you didn't post that info.... Get a bucket or ladder to stand on. Big plastic cover on top front of engine held on by two bolts. Don't take it off. Place bucket (or ladder on passenger side next to front tire. Get on it. Look underneath the plastic cover. See a round thing with a weird looking top? That's the fuel filter. On the bottom back (toward cab of truck) of that round thing is a little yellow lever. Flip it down. Diesel fuel will now drain all over your driveway from a hidden hose. When it stops, flip lever back up. Done.

BTW, you should be replacing that filter every 15K miles. Buy them from Ford for $40 or IH for $20 or online for $6-$8 each. They are all made by Racor. Don't buy the bullshit ones from Autozone.

Reply to
bomar

bomar,

I found it! Thanks for the detailed description.

I'm a bit concerned because the drain valve was in the open position. I bought this truck a week ago, so I have no way to know how long it's been that way. Needless to say, there was nothing to drain. Was there potential for damage, having the drain valve open?

Charlie

Reply to
Charles Kerekes

If the valve was open diesel fuel would pour out of it all the time. It had to be closed.

Reply to
bomar

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:45:13 +0000, bomar rearranged some electrons to form:

Dang, now I know why I was only getting 1 mpg.

Reply to
David M

bomar,

You were right (I was the "other") about the valve being closed. But, when I opened the valve, nothing drained out. I think I see the metal hose near the bottom of the engine where it is supposed to drain out. I left the valve open for several minutes, but nothing came out. Can these things be clogged?

Please excuse my ignorance -- this is my first diesel.

Charlie

Reply to
Charles Kerekes

If nothing runs all over your driveway when you flip it the correct way....the hose must be blocked. It is VERY well hidden under the truck. Grab a flashlight and a creeper, jack it up and hunt like Hell for it. It's on the passenger side kinda near the bottom alt (if you have the duals). Or take off the hose at the filter and blow it out w/ compressed air. I wish you good luck!!!

BTW, for a great F@rd diesel site (well, the users are great but the site owner is an ass) go to

and go to the forums section....

Reply to
bomar

I suppose it could be. I don't know about your truck, but on my 350, the line terminates right inside the fender fairly near the outside, behind the battery. If you find it, make sure somebody wasn't having a valve problem and decided to clamp the thing shut or something. Another thing to try is to open the valve and go turn the ignition to the run setting for a second; if there is crap in the line that might just be enough to blow it out.

Reply to
Chris Hill

If nothing ran out, just turn on the key for a few seconds with the valve open. The fuel line will be pressurized and it will force the fuel and water out from the bottom of the filter canister. Close the valve and turn off the key and you are done, until the next time the light comes on.

Reply to
Tyrone